Trudy Groenman in 1964
|Full name||Gertruida Johanna Groenman|
January 15, 1944 |
|Grand Slam Singles results|
|French Open||2R (1965)|
|Wimbledon||QF (1966 )|
|Grand Slam Mixed Doubles results|
Groenman was Netherlands girls' junior champion in 1961 in the 18-and-under class, and Netherlands women's champion in 1964, 1965 and 1966. In 1964 she also won the Netherlands national women's doubles championship, with Anja Lepoutre, a fellow member of the Groningen Lawn Tennis Club, and the Netherlands national mixed doubles championship, with Tom Okker. In 1965 and 1971 she again won the women's doubles championship, both times with Els Spruyt.
In international play, she reached the quarter-finals at Wimbledon in 1966. She and Tom Okker reached the semi-finals of the Wimbledon mixed doubles in 1964. In 1967 she reached the final of the US Indoors, where she lost to Billie Jean King 6–1, 6–0.
After marrying Christiaan Gerrit Walhof, she played under the name Trudy Walhof-Groenman. After a pause in her tennis career to raise a family, she became Netherlands senior champion, beating Els Veentje in the over-40s group. Since 1987 she has been married to Marinus Anton Holboom. She currently lives in The Hague.
Groenman was a left-handed player, whose style was compared to Billie Jean King's.
Singles (2 runner-ups)
|Runner-up||1.||18 July 1966||Dutch Open, Hilversum, Netherlands||Clay||Annette Van Zyl||3–6, 1–6|
|Runner-up||2.||19 February 1967||U.S. Indoor Championships, Winchester, U.S.||Carpet (i)||Billie Jean King||1–6, 0–6|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trudy Groenman.|
- Jeugd – NJK, Royal Dutch Lawn Tennis Association, retrieved 13 November 2012 (in Dutch)
- Trudy Groenman, tennismuseum.nl, retrieved 13 November 2012 (in Dutch)
- Senioren: Nationale kampioenen sinds 1899, Royal Dutch Lawn Tennis Association, retrieved 13 November 2012 (in Dutch)
- "Trudy Groenman-Okker verrasten op Wimbledon", Nieuwsblad van het Noorden, 3 July 1964, p. 1 (pdf) (in Dutch)
- "Polygoon doet aan zomersport: Wimbledon, Tour de France en Vierdaagse", Geschiedenis24, 29 June 2010 (in Dutch)
- "Mrs. King Retains Net Crown By Trouncing Miss Groenman", The New York Times, 20 February 1967.
- "Met Laudin naar zege op Goolagong en Warwick: Trudy Walhof imponeert in Hilversum", Leidsch Dagblad, 29 July 1971, p. 17 (in Dutch)
- "NK voor veteranen doorslaand succes", Leidsch Dagblad, 18 August 1976, p. 17 (in Dutch)
- "Dutch Girl Plays Net Angles, Gets Rival Out of Position". Boston Globe. 19 February 1967.