Tubular Bells III
Tubular Bells III is an album written and mostly performed by Mike Oldfield, released in 1998 (see 1998 in music). It is the sequel to Oldfield's 1973 Tubular Bells and his 1992 Tubular Bells II albums.
It features vocalists in the following songs; "Man in the Rain" features Cara Dillon (credited as Cara from Polar Star) with additional vocals by Heather Burnett. "The Inner Child" features Rosa Cedrón (Luar Na Lubre). "The Source of Secrets", "Jewel In The Crown" and "Secrets" feature Amar and "Far Above the Clouds" features Clodagh Simonds and Francesca Robertson. Also, Mike Oldfield can be heard saying 'Out Demon' on "Outcast".
On September 4, 1998, 6 years to the day after the premiere of Tubular Bells II at Edinburgh Castle, Oldfield held a premiere concert for Tubular Bells III at Horse Guards Parade in London. The live version of the complete album from the premiere concert is available on the double DVD Tubular Bells II / Tubular Bells III (see Tubular Bells II Live and Tubular Bells III Live).
Oldfield has stated that he initially recorded over 70 minutes of music for Tubular Bells III but trimmed it down to the current 46 minutes and 38 seconds. An early version of "Man in the Rain" was written shortly after 1983's "Moonlight Shadow", and is similar in style to the song. An early version of "The Source of Secrets" appears on the compilation Mike Oldfield XXV.
Tubular Bells III is the least successful of the three main Tubular Bells albums, only attaining #4 on the UK chart, unlike its two chart topping predecessors. Critical reaction was mixed, with many accusing Oldfield of pushing the Tubular Bells series too far. The very distinct similarity of "Man in the Rain" to the hit Moonlight Shadow was sometimes interpreted as Oldfield trying retread old ground. Some fans thought that the introduction of dance-orientated tracks was not staying faithful to the Tubular Bells name.
- "The Source of Secrets" (Mike Oldfield) – 5:35
- "The Watchful Eye" (Oldfield) – 2:09
- "Jewel in the Crown" (Oldfield) – 5:45
- "Outcast" (Oldfield) – 3:49
- "Serpent Dream" (Oldfield) – 2:53
- "The Inner Child" (Oldfield) – 4:41
- "Man in the Rain" (Oldfield) – 4:03
- "The Top of the Morning" (Oldfield) – 4:26
- "Moonwatch" (Oldfield) – 4:25
- "Secrets" (Oldfield) – 3:20
- "Far Above the Clouds" (Oldfield) – 5:30
- The Bag of Secrets at Amadian.net
- Mike Oldfield Discography - Tubular Bells III at Tubular.net