The Tuite Baronetcy, of Sonna (An Sonnach) in the County of Westmeath, is a title in the Baronetage of Ireland. It was created on 16 June 1622 for Oliver Tuite. At the time of the Norman Invasion of Ireland, Henry II granted to Hugh de Lacy, 1st Earl of Ulster, the lands of Ó Maoilsheachlainn, king of Meath in return for the service of 50 Knights. As one of de Lacy's barons Risteárd de Tiúit received large grants in Westmeath and Longford. His descendants became the barons of Moyashell, in Westmeath. De Lacy conferred on the Tuite family the castle of O'Casey (Irish Ó Cathasaigh), chief of Saithne, now "Sonnagh," in Westmeath. The seventh Baronet was murdered at Sonnagh. This senior branch of the family became Protestant in order to hold on to their lands and in the early twentieth century moved to Britain. The Sonnagh estate is today in ruins outside the town of Ballynacargy in County Westmeath.
The family surname is pronounced "Chewte".
Hugh Tuite, Member of Parliament for Westmeath, was gazetted a baronet, "of Sound in the County of Westmeath", on 3 July 1838, which was reported in The Times on 4 July. However, it appears that the announcement was an error and on 6 July a notice appeared in The Gazette that the creation of the baronetcy was "not to take place."
Tuite baronets, of Sonagh (1622)
- Sir Oliver Tuite, 1st Baronet (c. 1588–1642)
- Sir Oliver Tuite, 2nd Baronet (c. 1633–1661)
- Sir James Tuite, 3rd Baronet (died 1664)
- Sir Henry Tuite, 4th Baronet (died 1679)
- Sir Joseph Tuite, 5th Baronet (1677–1727)
- Sir Henry Tuite, 6th Baronet (c. 1708–1765)
- Sir George Tuite, 7th Baronet (1729–1782)
- Sir Henry Tuite, 8th Baronet (1743–1805)
- Sir George Tuite, 9th Baronet (1778–1841)
- Sir Mark Anthony Henry Tuite, 10th Baronet (1808–1898)
- Sir Morgan Harry Paulet Tuite, 11th Baronet (1861–1946)
- Sir Brian Hugh Morgan Tuite, 12th Baronet (1897–1970)
- Sir Dennis George Harmsworth Tuite, 13th Baronet (1904–1981)
- Sir Christopher Hugh Tuite, 14th Baronet (born 1949)
The heir apparent to the baronetcy is Thomas Livingston Tuite (born 1977), eldest son of the 14th Baronet.
- "No. 19631". The London Gazette. 3 July 1838. p. 1488.
- www.historyofparliamentonline.org TUITE, Hugh Morgan (1795–1868), of Sonna, co. Westmeath.
- "No. 19633". The London Gazette. 6 July 1838. p. 1533.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Leigh Rayment's list of baronets
- Stirnet: Tuite1 (requires membership to view without interruption)
- LIBRARY IRELAND: Ancient Meath. The Principal Families in the Kingdom of Meath: In the County of Meath