Michael Perry (author)
This biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Michael Perry (born 1964) is an American author, born and raised in New Auburn, Wisconsin. After childhood on a small Midwestern dairy farm, Perry put himself through nursing school while working on a ranch in Wyoming.
He lives with his wife and two daughters in rural Wisconsin, where he serves on the local volunteer fire and rescue service and is an intermittent pig farmer. He hosts the nationally syndicated Tent Show Radio, performs widely as a humorist, and tours with his band the Long Beds (currently recording their third album for Amble Down Records). His bestselling memoirs include Population 485, Truck: A Love Story, Coop, and Visiting Tom, which debuted on the New York Times bestseller list. His book exploring the work of the French philosopher and essayist Michel Eyquem de Montaigne, Montaigne in Barn Boots, was published in 2017.
Perry’s essays and nonfiction have appeared in numerous publications including The New York Times Magazine, Esquire, Backpacker, Outside, and Runner’s World. He has collaborated with the musician Justin Vernon on several projects and composed the liner notes for the Vernon-produced The Blind Boys of Alabama album I'll Find a Way.
Perry was educated at the University of Wisconsin–Eau Claire.
- Montaigne in Barn Boots (2017)
- The Jesus Cow (2015)
- Visiting Tom: A Man, a Highway, and the Road to Roughneck Grace (2012)
- Coop: A Year of Poultry, Pigs, and Parenting (HarperCollins, 2009)
- Truck: A Love Story (HarperCollins, 2006)
- Off Main Street: Brainstormers, Prophets, and Gatemouth's Gator (2005)
- Population: 485: Meeting Your Neighbors One Siren at a Time (2002)
- Big Rigs, Elvis & the Grand Dragon Wayne (1999) (15 of the 20 essays were later republished in Off Main Street)
- Why They Killed Big Boy (1996)
- Bootlegged at the Big Top – Michael Perry and the Long Beds (2014)
- Tiny Pilot – Michael Perry and the Long Beds (2010)
- Headwinded – Michael Perry and the Long Beds (2006)
- Clodhopper Monologues (2011)
- Never Stand Behind A Sneezing Cow (1996)
|This Wisconsin-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|