Twist in My Sobriety
|"Twist in My Sobriety"|
|Single by Tanita Tikaram|
|from the album Ancient Heart|
"The Kill in Your Heart"
"For All These Years"
|Format||7" single, 12" maxi, CD maxi|
|Producer(s)||Peter Van Hooke, Rod Argent|
|Tanita Tikaram singles chronology|
"Twist in My Sobriety" is a song written and recorded by Tanita Tikaram. Released as a single in 1988 from her debut album, Ancient Heart, it was Tikaram's biggest international success, achieving top 10 placings in several European countries.
Speaking about the somewhat obscure and enigmatic lyrics, Tikaram has offered different views on their meaning, but said it's mostly about the particular relationship with the world one feels when entering adulthood. "the song is really about not understanding - when you're 18, you've got a very particular emotional relationship with the world, you feel very isolated, and everybody else is so distant and cold. And I think I was singing about not feeling anything or not being moved by things around. I think this is a strong feeling when you're just after adolescence."
Malcolm Messiter plays the oboe on the song, which is featured prominently on the song's chorus, as well as being used on instrumental solos throughout the song. A rarity on pop songs, the use of the oboe was favourably remarked by several reviewers[who?], citing that it made the song unique and distinct from other charts hits of the time.
Release and reception
Released as the second single from her debut album Ancient Heart, the song was edited for its single release, eliminating the last verse of the song. Despite heavy promotion, the single was a moderate hit in the UK, peaking at #22, and to date it is Tikaram's last top 40 hit in her home country.
The song was a bigger success when released in Europe, and was a top 10 hit in several countries, including Ireland (#10), France (#6), Norway (#6), Germany (#2), Switzerland (#6) and Austria (#2). It mostly charted within the top 40 in other European countries and was a big airplay hit all around Europe in 1988-89. The single was Tikaram's only chart hit in the USA charts, peaking at #25 on the Modern Rock charts, and was a hit on college radio stations. The song featured prominently during the 1988 Miami Vice episode "The Lost Madonna".
In 1996, a new remixed house version by Ramp (Simon Rogers and Shem McCauley) with a much faster tempo was included on the compilation The Best of Tanita Tikaram and was released as a single to promote the album. The single peaked at #82 in the UK.
The sepia-colored music video was directed by Gerard de Thame and premiered in the autumn of 1988. Shot on location on the Altiplano Plateau in Bolivia, the video shows various residents of a destitute village interacting with each other amidst their daily struggles. Interspersed throughout these scenes are shots of Tanita Tikaram singing in a darkened room with only one light shining on her face.
|1.||"Twist in My Sobriety" (edit)||3:53|
|1.||"Twist in My Sobriety" (full length version)||4:51|
|3.||"For All These Years"||5:13|
|1.||"Twist in My Sobriety" (edit)||3:55|
|3.||"The Kill in Your Heart"||3:43|
|4.||"For All These Years"||5:12|
|1.||"Twist in My Sobriety" (Tikaramp Radio)||4:23|
|2.||"Twist in My Sobriety" (Phil Kelsey Vocal)||9:40|
|3.||"Twist in My Sobriety" (Extended Bumps Fluidity Mix)||5:10|
|4.||"Twist in My Sobriety" (Tikaramp Vocal)||6:48|
|5.||"Twist in My Sobriety" (SFX Sobriety Mix)||6:55|
Charts and sales
Szidi Tobias version
|"Závoj tkaný touhami"|
|Song by Szidi Tobias|
|from the album Ohrožený druh|
|Lyricist(s)||Michal Horáček (Czech version)|
"Závoj tkaný touhami"
In 2008, a Czech version of Tikaram's song was recorded by Slovak chanteuse Szidi Tobias under title "Závoj tkaný touhami" ("A Veil Woven of Desires"). Featuring alternate lyrics by Michal Horáček, the composition was released on his Anděl Awards-winning album Ohrožený druh, being classified as the highest selling album of a music band in the Czech Republic in 2008.
Credits and personnel
- Szidi Tobias – lead vocal
- Tanita Tikaram – writer, lyrics
- Michal Horáček – lyrics
- Petr Malásek – piano
- Anna Mlináriková – violin
- Milan Kymlicka – arrangement
- In 1989, Liza Minnelli covered the song for her album Results, which was produced by the Pet Shop Boys.
- In 1989, Kati Kovács Hungarian singer, Music Week's The Star of The Year 1975 sang the song on a compilation album of 1989's hits.
- In 1989, Italo disco singer George Aaron recorded a version released on vinyl as a 12" single by Cruisin' Records, Italy.
- In 1994, Abigail covered the song on her album, Feel Good.
- In 1999, the German gothic metal group Dreadful Shadows recorded a cover version of the song on their album The Cycle as a bonus track.
- In 1999, the Chinese singer Chyi Yu covered the song for her album C'est la vie.
- In 2002, the Gothic metal band Darkwell covered the song for their album Conflict of Interest.
- In 2006, the Italian singer Gennaro Cosmo Parlato covered the song for his album Remainders.
- In 2006, the Finnish singer Anneli Mattila covered the song for her album Laulun lahjan sain. The Finnish title of the song was Rakkauden muistomerkki.
- In 2007, the electronic dance music artist Les Adams covered the song and released it on Southern Fried Records. The release included remixes by Digital Dog, Soul Buddha, Ali Payami, Nathan Detroit and Norman Cook.
- In 2007, the Death metal Project Cynicism included a cover on their album A Taste Of Hate.
- In 2008, the German project Songs of Lemuria included a cover of the song on their Footprints of the Moon album.
- In 2014, Argentine singer Karen Souza covered the song for her album Essentials II.
In 2011, Sebastian, Krieg and Strobe sampled "Twist in My Sobriety" in their Strobe Club Mix.
- "Songfacts". 2015-12-22. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- Twist In My Sobriety by Tanita Tikaram Songfacts. Songfacts.com. Retrieved on 2016-03-11.
- Tanita Tikaram - "Twist in my sobriety [version 1]". mvdbase.com. Retrieved on 2016-03-11.
- Tanita Tikaram -Twist in my sobriety. YouTube (2012-03-16). Retrieved on 2016-03-11.
- "Tanita Tikaram Album & Song Chart History | Billboard.com". billboard.com. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "lescharts.com – Tanita Tikaram – Twist In My Sobriety". lescharts.com. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "Chartverfolgung / Tikaram,Tanita / Single". musicline.de. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "The Irish Charts – All there is to know". irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 5 June 2011. Search for "Twist in My Sobriety"
- "Chart Stats – Tanita Tikaram – Twist In My Sobriety". Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- 1989 Austrian Singles Chart Austriancharts.at (Retrieved April 20, 2008)
- 1989 Swiss Singles Chart Hitparade.ch (Retrieved April 20, 2008)
- "French single certifications – Tikaram Tanita – Twist in My Sobriety" (in French). InfoDisc. Select TIKARAM TANITA and click OK
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Tanita Tikaram; 'Twist in My Sobriety')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Ceny Anděl 2008". Akademie populární hudby (in Czech). APH. 2009-03-21. cenyandel.cz. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- Various artists (2008). Ohrožený druh (Liner Notes) (Compact Disc) (in Czech). Michal Horáček & VA. Czech Republic: Sony BMG.
- Marešová, Iva (2009-02-12). "Desky roku? Ohrožený druh..." T-Mobile (in Czech). T-Mobile Czech Republic. t-music.cz. Retrieved 2012-01-14.