U.S. Route 95 Alternate (Schurz–Fernley, Nevada)
|Maintained by Nevada DOT|
|Length:||105.0 mi (169.0 km)|
|Existed:||1941 – present|
|South end:||US 95 near Schurz|
|North end:||I‑80 / US 95 north of Fallon|
|Counties:||Mineral, Lyon, Churchill|
In the U.S. state of Nevada, U.S. Route 95 Alternate (US 95 Alt., sometimes referred to as US 95A) is an alternate route of U.S. Route 95 located in the western part of the state. It connects Schurz to Interstate 80 via the cities of Yerington and Fernley.
The highway is one of three routes in Nevada that has existed as US 95 Alt.
The present Alternate US 95 begins at its junction with US 95 in Schurz and runs west to Yerington. From there, it runs north to Silver Springs and Fernley. Alternate US 95 is routed concurrently with Alternate US 50 from Silver Springs to Fernley.
Nevada’s official highway log lists the northern termination of the route at its junction with I-80 at Fernley. However, maps, including Nevada’s own official state maps, show the route continuing northeast along I-80 to its junction with mainline US 95 at exit 83.
Dates are based on when changes appear on official Nevada state highway maps unless otherwise noted.
The present Alternate US 95 was commissioned in 1941. It ran from its current southern terminus at Schurz to the junction with US 40 and US 95 at Fernley. However, it was displayed on the official 1941 Nevada highway map as US 95, making it appear is if there were two different highways with the same number. The error was corrected on the 1942 map. Alternate US 95 replaced part of SR 3 between Schurz and Yerington; SR 2B from Yerington to present-day Fort Churchill Road, south of Silver Springs; and State Route 1B from Fort Churchill Road to Fernley.
A second Alternate US 95 was created in 1960 due a realignment of mainline US 95. Mainline US 95 was extended due north from Fallon to US 40 over the former SR 1A. The former route of US 95 via Fernley was renumbered as Alternate US 95. Strangely, this placed two different routes numbered as Alternate US 95 in the same area of Nevada with the two meeting at Fernley. This lasted until around 1978, when the route from Fallon to Fernley was renumbered as US 50 Alt., except for the easternmost nine miles (14 km); they had been concurrently numbered as US 50 and retained that number.
Note: Mileposts in Nevada reset at county lines; the start and end mileposts for each county are given in the county column. Mileposts are given only for those portions of Alternate US 95 not concurrent with Interstate 80.
|Schurz||0.00||0.00||US 95 – Fallon, Hawthorne|
|Yerington||SR 208 (Main Street) – Wellington, Minden|
|SR 339 (Nordyke Road) – Mason, Wellington|
|Silver Springs||US 50 – Carson City, Fallon||South end of US 50 Alt. overlap|
|Fernley||58.36||93.92||SR 427 – Wadsworth, Reno|
US 50 Alt. east / SR 828 (Farm District Road) – Fallon
|North end of US 50 Alt. overlap|
|60.59||97.51||I‑80 west – Reno||South end of I-80 overlap|
|||US 95 Alt. overlaps I-80, exits 48 to 83|
|Churchill||||I‑80 east / US 95 – Fallon, Winnemucca, Elko||North end of I-80 overlap|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Nevada Department of Transportation (January 2008). "Nevada State Maintained Highways: Descriptions, Index and Maps". Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- United States Numbered Highways. American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. 1989. p. 141. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- Google (August 28, 2016). "Overview of US 95 Alt" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- Nevada Department of Transportation (May 2008). "Maps of Milepost Location on Nevada's Federal and State Highway System by County" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on February 19, 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
Route map: Google
- Official Road Map of the State of Nevada (Map). Nevada Department of Highways. 1941.
- Official Highway Map of Nevada (Map). State of Nevada, Department of Highways. 1953.
- Official Highway Map of Nevada (Map). Nevada Department of Highways. 1956.
- Official Highway Map of Nevada (Map). Nevada State Highway Department. 1960.
- Official Highway Map of Nevada (Map). Nevada State Highway Department. 1978-9. Check date values in:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to U.S. Route 95 Alternate (Schurz–Fernley, Nevada).|