USB Implementers Forum
|Legal status||501(c)(6) professional association|
|Headquarters||Beaverton, Oregon, U.S.|
The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) is a not-for-profit organization created to promote and support the Universal Serial Bus. Its main activities are the promotion and marketing of USB, Wireless USB, USB On-The-Go, and the maintenance of the specifications, as well as a compliance program.
It was formed in 1995 by the group of companies that developed USB. Those founding companies were Compaq, Digital, IBM PC Co, Intel, Microsoft, NEC and Nortel. Notable members include Hewlett-Packard, NEC, Microsoft, Apple Inc., Intel, and Agere Systems.
The working committees within USB-IF are:
- Device Working Group
- Compliance Committee
- Marketing Committee
The USB-IF web caters to developers who can freely sign up to the developer web-forums and access documentation, however to join a working group one has to work for a member company or register as a member. The developer forums cover USB hardware and software development and are not an end-user forums.
Obtaining a vendor ID
A vendor ID is necessary for obtaining a certification of compliance from the USB-IF. The USB-IF is responsible for issuing USB vendor IDs to product manufacturers. The cost for issuing this number is US$5,000. Additionally, the use of a trademarked USB logo to identify certified devices requires license fee of US$3,500 for a 2-year term. Some microcontroller manufacturers offer a free or low cost sublicense of their vendor ID for development/testing and limited production (generally under 10,000 units). Vendors offering this free service include:
- Dream S.A.S.
- Energy Micro
- Luminary Micro
- NXP 
- Silicon Labs
- Texas Instruments
Alternatively, many members of the open source community promote the use of USB VID 0xF055 (visually similar to FOSS) for open-source hardware projects. Although this VID is not registered to any company (as of October 2015), the USB-IF have not released any confirmation about reserving it for this particular purpose.
- MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)
- Personal Computer Memory Card International Association (PCMCIA)
- USB On-The-Go
- Wireless USB
- "Members". USB.org. USB Implementers Forum, Inc. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "Form 990: Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax". USB Implementers Forum. Guidestar. December 31, 2015.
- "About". USB Implementers Forum. Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "USB 3.0 Promoter Group Announces USB Type-C Connector Ready for Production" (PDF).
- How to get a vendor ID from the USB-IF
- Dream S.A.S. USB Vendor ID Application
- Energy Micro Application for USB PID Sublicense Archived 16 October 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- FTDI USB Vendor ID Application
- Luminary Micro (now part of Texas Instruments) USB Vendor ID Application
- Application for Sub-License to Microchip Universal Serial Bus Vendor ID
- NXP to offer global USB Vendor ID program
- Silicon Labs USB Vendor ID Application
- STMicroelectronics USB Vendor ID Application
- Texas Instruments USB Vendor ID Application
- USB IMPLEMENTERS FORUM SAYS NO TO OPEN SOURCE