USS Maine (SSBN-741)
|Namesake:||The U.S. state of Maine|
|Ordered:||5 October 1988|
|Builder:||General Dynamics Electric Boat|
|Laid down:||3 July 1990|
|Launched:||16 July 1994|
|Commissioned:||29 July 1995|
|Motto:||Leadership, Peace, Vigilance|
|Status:||in active service|
|Class and type:||Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine|
|Length:||560 ft (170 m)|
|Beam:||42 ft (13 m)|
|Draft:||38 ft (12 m)|
|Speed:||Greater than 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)|
|Test depth:||Greater than 800 feet (240 m)|
USS Maine (SSBN-741) is a United States Navy Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine in commission since 1995. She is the fourth U.S. Navy ship authorized, and the third commissioned, to be named in honor of the state of Maine. She has the capability to carry 24 nuclear armed Trident ballistic missiles.
Construction and commissioning
The contract to build Maine was awarded to the Electric Boat Division of the General Dynamics Corporation, Groton, Connecticut, on 5 October 1988, and her keel was laid there on 3 July 1990. Maine was launched on 16 July 1994, delivered to the U.S. Navy on 23 June 1995, and commissioned on 29 July 1995 at the Portsmouth Navy Yard, on the shore of its namesake state.
This section needs expansion with: History needed for 1995 through the present.. You can help by adding to it. (December 2009)
Maine in fiction
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)
- This article includes information collected from the Naval Vessel Register, which, as a U.S. government publication, is in the public domain. The entry can be found here.
- "Ohio-class SSGN-726". Federation of American Scientists. Retrieved 2011-09-27.
- Frost, Peter. "Newport News contract awarded". Daily Press. Retrieved 2011-09-27. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Submarine Frequently Asked Questions". Chief of Naval Operations Submarine Warfare Division. Retrieved 2011-09-27.
- NavSource Online: Submarine Photo Archive Maine (SSBN-741), retrieved 30 September 2011
- Official site, archived from the original on 2011-11-07
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS Maine (SSBN-741).|
|This article about a specific naval submarine of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|