Ugly Dave Gray
|Ugly Dave Gray|
|Born||Graham David Taylor
26 December 1933
|Children||Lisa and David Gray|
Gray was a regular panellist on Graham Kennedy's Blankety Blanks in 1977-1978. He had earlier taken a straight dramatic role as publican Bunny Howard in the early episodes of soap opera The Young Doctors in 1976. He left his role in The Young Doctors after his initial 13-week contract expired in order to work on Blankety Blanks. Kennedy himself had convinced Gray to do Blankety Blanks  Gray had been receiving $100 a day for The Young Doctors, with Blankety Blanks paying $45 an episode this represented a pay cut. Later Gray signed with agent Harry M Miller who negotiated the increased pay rate of $75 per episode of Blankety Blanks which remained until the series ended.
Gray hosted an Australian version of the American game show Beat The Clock called Free for All in 1973.
Gray later hosted the celebrity game show Celebrity Tattle Tales from 1979-1980, and Play Your Cards Right from 1984-1985.
According to Gray's autobiography It's Funny Being Ugly, on 31 May 2005 Gray was not invited to speak at Kennedy's funeral, and did not know where the funeral was to be held. He had to call presenter Philip Brady for details.
In the 2000s Gray endorsed an erectile dysfunction nasal spray.
Ugly Dave Gray has two children, a daughter and a son. His son, also called Dave Gray, is following in his father's footsteps as a comedian.
In 2011 Gray announced that he wished to be cryogenically frozen after death.
- Double the Fist (2004) TV Series (Episode Four: Fear Factory) .... Himself
- Gettin' Square (2003) .... Jack Cullan
- All at Sea (1977) (TV)
- The Young Doctors (1976) TV Series .... Bunny Howard
References in popular culture
- "Ugly Dave's Gray-ve plan". The Gold Coast Bulletin. Australia. 13 December 2010. p. 17.
- Gray, Dave. It's Funny Being Ugly, New Holland Publishers, 2005. ISBN 1-74110-409-2 pp 125-6
- Gray, Dave. It's Funny Being Ugly, New Holland Publishers, 2005. ISBN 1-74110-409-2 p 126
- Gray, Dave. It's Funny Being Ugly, New Holland Publishers, 2005. ISBN 1-74110-409-2 p 133
- Craig Bellamy, Gordon Chisholm, Hilary Eriksen (17 February 2006) Moomba: A festival for the people.: http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/rsrc/PDFs/Moomba/History%20of%20Moomba.pdf PDF pp 17-22
- Gray, Dave. It's Funny Being Ugly, New Holland Publishers, 2005. ISBN 1-74110-409-2 p 224
- "Impotent to get money back". theage.com.au. 4 December 2003. Retrieved 2007-09-30.
- Jeffrey, James (13 December 2010). "Strewth". The Australian. p. 13.