|Labels||Trouble in Mind, Bella Union|
|Associated acts||The Beep Seals, Mazes, Veronica Falls, The Proper Ornaments|
Ultimate Painting were an English alternative rock band, formed in London in 2014. The band was composed of co-frontmen Jack Cooper and James Hoare, with a revolving cast of rhythm sections. The band were named after a painting made by the Drop City art community in Colorado in the late 1960s.
The band were formed in 2014 by Blackpool-born singer-guitarist Jack Cooper, who previously fronted Mazes and co-fronted Beep Seals with ex-Alfie guitarist Ian Smith, and Torbay-born singer-guitarist James Hoare, who co-fronts Proper Ornaments and also co-fronted Veronica Falls.
In October 2017, the band signed to UK label Bella Union and it was confirmed that the band were working on their next album at manager James Soldham's home studio. On 29 January 2018, the band released Not Gonna Burn Myself Anymore as a digital single and revealed the release date of fourth album Up! for April.
On 12 February 2018, Jack Cooper announced that the band were splitting up, adding that "the partnership at the core of this band has always been a very fragile thing, but due to an irreconcilable breakdown we will no longer be working with each other". The previously announced album release was cancelled at Cooper's express request and the UK tour to support it was also cancelled. Cooper commented on 6 April 2018, the proposed release day of Up!, that he had "had lots of emails, messages and questions about the unreleased UP album ever coming out. I reeeaaally appreciate the curiosity but no, it isn’t coming out. I’m onto to something really fresh and exciting so sit tight!".
- Ultimate Painting (2014)
- Green Lanes (2015)
- Dusk (2016)
- Up! (2018 - unreleased)
- Live at Third Man Records (2016)
- "Artists - Ultimate Painting - Trouble In Mind Records". Troubleinmindrecs.com. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Ultimate Painting "Ultimate Painting"". Trouble In Mind Records. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- Will Hodgkinson (May 2012). The Ballad of Britain: How Music Captured The Soul of a Nation. p. 244. ISBN 9781907554766. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Marc Masters (3 August 2015). "Ultimate Painting: Green Lanes Album Review". Pitchfork. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Lucas, Dan (13 August 2015). "Album Review: Ultimate Painting - Green Lanes / Releases". Drownedinsound.com. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Ultimate Painting :: Dusk". Aquarium Drunkard. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Ultimate Painting sign to Bella Union | Bella Union". bellaunion.com. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- "Ultimate Painting: News". Ultimatepainting.band. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Union, Bella. "Not Gonna Burn Myself Anymore - Ultimate Painting". Qobuz. Archived from the original on 29 January 2018.
- [permanent dead link]
- "Ultimate Painting". Facebook.com. 12 February 2018. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- "Jack Cooper on Twitter". Twitter. 6 April 2018. Archived from the original on 8 April 2018.