|Born||August 15, 2000|
|Labels||Arizona University Records|
Umi Garrett (born August 15, 2000) is an American classical pianist.
Garrett began playing the piano at the age of four years. She began serious study of the piano under the instruction of Itoe Akimoto and Yoshie Akimoto. Currently, Garrett studies with John Perry (pianist). She has been invited to perform at the Killington Music Festival in Vermont as the youngest performer in the 26-year history of the festival. Garrett attended the Sydney International Piano Masterclass Festival in 2012. She also plays the violin and has taken ballet since she was two and a half.
In August 2009 Garrett performed in several concerts at the Vianden Music Festival in Luxembourg, and Germany in selected solo and chamber music works. In 2010, Umi won the Second International Chopin Competition in Hartford, Connecticut with a perfect score from all three judges, and was subsequently invited to perform at Carnegie Hall. Also in 2010, Garrett had an appearance with Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops sponsored by NPR's From The Top, and her orchestral debut with the Desert Symphony in Palm Desert, California in December 2009, performing Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 23 in A major. Garrett made her China debut with the Wuhan Symphony Orchestra in 2010 at the age of nine at Wuhan. She also was a recipient of the MusicFest Perugia Scholarship.
In 2011 Garrett performed at the Assisi nel Mondo Festival. Garrett has performed with the Charlotte Symphony in Florida, Thayer Symphony in Massachusetts, Saddleback Symphony in California, Indiana Chamber Orchestra in Indianapolis, and the Missouri Symphony in Columbia. On March 2012 Umi Garrett performed at The International Piano Stars Festival in Latvia being the youngest performer in the festival's history. This year she performed again at the Assisi nel Mondo Festival.
Umi Garrett created a special concert series called "Kizuna Concert Series" to visit people in Tohoku, Japan, where the tsunami happened in 2011. She had four concerts in Tohoku in March 2013. In 2015 Garrett was invited to perform with the Hiroshima Symphony Orchestra in a performance show that was planned to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the peace treaty that was signed by the United States and Japan.
|2008||Southwestern Youth Music Festival||Los Angeles||First prize|
|J.S. Bach Competition||Los Angeles||First prize|
|2009||J.S. Bach Competition||Los Angeles||First prize|
|Saddleback Symphony Concerto Competition||Mission Viejo, CA||First prize|
|2011||Chopin International Competition||Hartford, CT||Grand Prix|
|Schubert Club, Liszt Competition||CT||First prize|
|2012||Bradshaw & Buono International Piano Competition||New York City||First prize|
|The International Chopin Competition "Chopin Plus"||Budapest, Hungary||First prize|
|The Osaka International Chamber Music Competition||Osaka, Japan||First prize|
- "Piano prodigy Umi Garrett to perform in Los Gatos on May 3". San Jose Mercury News. April 22, 2015. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Harris, Trevor (June 6, 2014). "Thinking Out Loud: Umi Garrett". KBIA. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Yee, Christopher (November 4, 2015). "5 questions with teenage pianist Umi Garrett of Aliso Viejo". The Orange County Register. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- James, Elysse (May 6, 2014). "Keys of success: Young pianist has traveled the world to perform". The Orange County Register. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- "Australia International Piano Master Classes". Retrieved 2011. Check date values in:
- "VIANDEN INTERNATIONAL MUSIC FESTIVAL & SCHOOL". Retrieved 2009. Check date values in:
- "Umi "Wunderkind"". Retrieved 2009. Check date values in:
- Payne, Joe (May 23, 2016). "Child prodigy Umi Garrett performs for the Lompoc Concert Association - Music". Santa Maria Sun, CA. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- "Umi Garrett with the Boston POPS". From the Top. Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- "Umi Garrett Shows How Classical Performance Can be for All Ages". Greenroom From the Top. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- "Classical pianist Umi Garrett to perform at special Community Concerts of Rancho Santa Fe event". Rancho Santa Fe Review. February 22, 2014. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- "Progetto Omaggio all'Umbria". Festival Assisi nel Mondo (in Italian). Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- "atrastie rezultāti". Liepājas Simfoniskais orķestris. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- "Festivāla sensācija - pianisma brīnumbērns". liepajniekiem.lv (in Latvian). March 9, 2012. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- "Assisi nel Mondo Festival". Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- オールジャパンライングループ (March 6, 2011). "復興支援活動の取り組み". ピアノ運送・移動・引越、精密・重量機器運搬・輸送｜AJL｜オールジャパンライングループ (in Japanese). Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- "宇見ギャレット絆コンサート｜ピアノ少女から東北の皆様へ。笑顔を届ける、音楽の贈り物。". ピアノ運送・移動・引越、精密・重量機器運搬・輸送｜AJL｜オールジャパンライングループ (in Japanese). Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- "Umi Grand Prix Award Chopin Competition Hartford, CT". Archived from the original on January 17, 2012. Retrieved 2011. Check date values in:
- ":::". ::: Ferenczy György Alapítvány (in Hungarian). May 20, 2012. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- 大阪国際音楽コンクール事務局 (September 1, 2012). "大阪国際音楽コンクール OSAKA I.M.C ピアノ Piano Age-E2 結果". 大阪国際音楽コンクール OSAKA I.M.C (in Japanese). Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Corkill, Edan (October 4, 2012). "Young pianist Umi delighted to capture Osaka prize". The Japan Times. Retrieved May 23, 2016.