Underwater rugby in Australia
Underwater rugby has been played in Australia since 2007. Its introduction is attributed to individuals based at the University of New South Wales Underwater Club including a former member of the Colombian National Team.
As of 2016, UWR is played at venues in the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia. The first national tournament was held in Sydney as part of the 2013 Australian International Scuba & Underwater Sports Expo (ODEX) during September 2013.. This was followed in 2014 by the second National competition (n)Odex held in September in Ashfield NSW  which saw local team UNSW UWR wrestle the national title away from inaugural champions UWR TAS. The latest national competition was held in Brisbane at the Pan-Pacific Cup in April 2015: UNSW UWR won a second national title against locals Unidive Gauls UWR in a hard fought final 
As of 2015, Australia has competed in third events at international level. Australia has played against New Zealand for the Ocean Hunter Trans Tasman Cup (OHTTC) in 2009, 2013 and 2014. The Australian male and female national teams played friendly games against Singapore at the Pan Pacific Cup in April 2015. The Australian male and female national teams played for the first time in a world championship event at the 10th Underwater Rugby World Championships held in Cali, Columbia during July and August 2015, finishing 11th and 7th respectively.
The UWR domestic competition received recognition from the Australian Underwater Federation (AUF), the Australian affiliate of Confédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques (CMAS), on 1 September 2012. As of April 2015, a Commission has been established within the AUF under the name "Underwater Rugby Australia" to administer the sport.
- "UNDERWATER RUGBY: The Greatest Sport You've Never Played". The UNSW Underwater Club. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "About". The UNSW Underwater Clu. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Playing, Get in touch with your local club". Underwater Rugby Australia. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- "Trans Tasman Ocean Hunter Cup Match". Australian International Scuba & Underwater Sports Expo. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Events; Nationals 2015 (Pan Pacific Cup)". Underwater Rugby Australia. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- "Cali Columbia 2015 Standings". Colombia Underwater Federation. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- "Underwater Rugby". Australian International Scuba & Underwater Sports Expo. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- Hoh, Amanda (3 September 2012). "What tries beneath: official nod for hidden depths of underwater". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- AUF Underwater Rugby homepage
- Australian Underwater Rugby Commission official website
- UNSW Underwater Rugby homepage
- Video of Australian Women's Underwater Rugby as of December 10, 2012
|This diving-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|