United Solo Theatre Festival
|United Solo Theatre Festival|
New York City
United Solo Theatre Festival is the world's largest solo theatre festival. It takes place at Theatre Row on 42nd Street in New York City. Its founder and artistic director is Omar Sangare. The festival presents many categories of solo shows, including storytelling, puppetry, dance, multimedia, improvisations, stand-up, magic, drama, and comedy. Since its inaugural edition, the Festival raises money for The Actors Fund.
The line-up of 47 solo shows was presented between November 8 and 21. The solo artists from three continents took part in the two-week festival. Four-time Academy Award nominee Marsha Mason presented awards at the closing ceremony, including the special uAward for Anna Deavere Smith.
Submissions for the second edition opened on March 1 and on closed May 16, 2011. The festival began on October 20 and it was concluded with a Closing Ceremony on November 20. It took place in Theatre Row in New York City. The New York Times chose United Solo for its The New Season Fall Preview, and theTime Out New York gave the Festival a wild card.
In 2011, the United Solo board has nominated four performers for the uAward: Daniel Beaty in Through the Night, John Lithgow in Stories by Heart, Patti LuPone in The Gypsy in My Soul, and Robin Williams in Weapons of Self-Destruction. The 2011 uAward went to Patti LuPone.
The third United Solo Festival presented 100 shows between October 11 - November 18, 2012. Nominees for the special uAward were Kathy Griffin, John Hurt, Hugh Jackman and John Leguizamo. The award went to John Leguizamo. Among other award winners were Lynn Marie Rink, Ann Morrison, Austin Pendleton and Bill Bowers.
The 4th festival was held at Theatre Row in New York City between October 3 – November 24, 2013 and featured 120 productions from 23 countries and 6 continents, among them Gordon Clapp, Eric Roberts, Ann Morrison, and Alison Wearing. The special award went to Fiona Shaw, who accepted it during festival's closing ceremony on November 24.
Over 130 participants will perform in the 5th anniversary season between September 18 – November 23, 2014. Artists will represent six continents. The festival will span over 10 weeks, which is five times longer than in the inaugural year.
United Solo Europe
- Official site for the festival in New York
- Official site for the festival's showcase in Europe
- Information on 2012 Festival in The New Season preview by The New York Times
- BroadwayWorld.com previews 2012 United Solo
- Broadway World on 2010 Edition
- Theatermania on 2010 Edition
- BackStage on 2010 Edition
- The New York Times website
- Broadway World, December 10, 2011
- Stage Directions, March 1, 2011
- Broadway World, January 18, 2011
- Outlaws, Kings and Comedy, www.nytimes.com, September 14, 2011
- PlayBill, April 12, 2011
- Broadway World, November 21, 2011
- "PlayBill, November 21, 2011". Archived from the original on September 26, 2013. Retrieved December 28, 2011.
- Theatermania, November 21, 2011
- Theatermania, April 25, 2012
- Playbill.com, November 19, 2012
- The Villager, December 6, 2012
- Playbill, October 3, 2013
- "Playbill, November 26, 2013". Archived from the original on December 3, 2013. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- Broadway World, May 20, 2014