University of Medicine and Health Sciences
|President||Warren Ross, J.D.|
|Dean||Edwin Purcell, Ph.D.|
|Location||Basseterre, Saint Kitts
New York, New York
The University of Medicine and Health Sciences (also known as UMHS) is a for-profit medical school located in Basseterre, Saint Kitts in the Caribbean. UMHS confers upon its graduates the Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree. The university also has a 5th semester campus in Portland, Maine and an administrative office in New York, New York.
UMHS was founded in 2007 by Dr. Robert Ross, the founder and former owner of Ross University School of Medicine. The university had its inaugural class in May 2008, and held its first graduation in June 2012 at the United Nations building in New York City. UMHS is owned and operated by the Ross family, with Dr. Ross's son Warren acting as President.
There have been four rounds of residency matches since the school's inception, with students placing into a variety of specialties across the United States.
The MD program at UMHS is a 10 semester course of study that consists of three semesters per calendar year. Semesters 1-4 are basic sciences semesters that are completed at the university's Saint Kitts campus. Semester 5 (Introduction to Clinical Medicine) is completed at the university's campus in Portland, Maine. Semesters 6-10 consist of 78 weeks of clinical clerkships (48 weeks of core rotations, 30 weeks of elective rotations) that are completed at affiliated hospitals in the United States.
UMHS is chartered in Saint Kitts and accredited by the Accreditation Board of Saint Kitts and Nevis, a recognized accrediting agency listed in the FAIMER Directory of Organizations that Recognize/Accredit Medical Schools (DORA). The school's charter was signed on August 24, 2007. UMHS is also listed in the FAIMER International Medical Education Directory (IMED).
Student organizations include:
- UMHS Clinical Science | Caribbean Medical School | UMHS Caribbean Medical School St. Kitts
- Contact UMHS | Medical School | UMHS Caribbean Medical School St. Kitts
- UMHS Inaugural Graduation Photo Slideshow (2012) - YouTube
- UMHS Basic Science | Shelf Examinations | Medical School | UMHS Caribbean Medical School St. Kitts
- "Accredited Institutions - St. Kitts & Nevis Accreditation Board". gov.kn. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "FAIMER - Directory of Organizations that Recognize/Accredit Medical Schools - Saint Kitts and Nevis". faimer.org. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- Cuopm: University Of Medicine And Health Sciences Of St. Kitts To Open Doors In January
- Also reviewed ACCM approval in 2015.IMED - FAIMER International Medical Education Directory - School Details
- AMSA International Medical Schools