University of Medicine and Health Sciences
|President||Warren Ross, J.D.|
|Dean||Don Roberts, M.D.|
The University of Medicine and Health Sciences (also known as UMHS) is a private, for-profit medical school located in Basseterre, Saint Kitts in the Caribbean. UMHS confers upon its graduates the Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree. The university also has a 5th semester campus in Portland, Maine and an administrative office in New York, New York.
UMHS was founded in 2007 by Dr. Robert Ross, the founder and former owner of Ross University School of Medicine. The university had its inaugural class in May 2008, and held its first graduation in June 2012 at the United Nations building in New York City. UMHS is owned and operated by the Ross family, with Dr. Ross's son Warren acting as President.
Since March 2011, students at UMHS have participated in residency matches every year, placing them into a variety of specialties across the United States and Canada.
The MD program at UMHS is a 10 semester course of study that consists of three semesters per calendar year. Semesters 1-4 are basic sciences semesters that are completed at the university's Saint Kitts campus. Semester 5 (Introduction to Clinical Medicine) is completed at the university's campus in Portland, Maine. Semesters 6-10 consist of 78 weeks of clinical clerkships (48 weeks of core rotations, 30 weeks of elective rotations) that are completed at affiliated hospitals in the United States.
UMHS is chartered in Saint Kitts and accredited by the Accreditation Board of Saint Kitts and Nevis, a recognized accrediting agency listed in the FAIMER Directory of Organizations that Recognize/Accredit Medical Schools (DORA). The school's charter was signed on August 24, 2007. UMHS is also listed in the FAIMER International Medical Education Directory (IMED).
UMHS received its 6-year accreditation from the Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine (ACCM) in May 2015. ACCM is an international accrediting body listed by the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA), part of the US Department of Education, as "found to use standards to accredit their medical schools that are comparable to the standards used to accredit medical schools in the United States."
Student organizations include:
- "From the Dean". UMHS.
- UMHS Clinical Science | Caribbean Medical School | UMHS Caribbean Medical School St. Kitts
- Contact UMHS | Medical School | UMHS Caribbean Medical School St. Kitts
- UMHS Inaugural Graduation Photo Slideshow (2012) - YouTube
- "Match results". UMHS.
- UMHS Basic Science | Shelf Examinations | Medical School | UMHS Caribbean Medical School St. Kitts
- "Accredited Institutions - St. Kitts & Nevis Accreditation Board". gov.kn. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "FAIMER - Directory of Organizations that Recognize/Accredit Medical Schools - Saint Kitts and Nevis". faimer.org. Retrieved 5 September 2011.
- "University Of Medicine And Health Sciences Of St. Kitts To Open Doors In January". Office of the Prime Minister of St. Kitts and Nevis. 6 September 2007. Archived from the original on 8 November 2007. Retrieved 20 January 2021.CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- Also reviewed ACCM approval in 2015.IMED - FAIMER International Medical Education Directory - School Details
- "Accredited Schools – ACCM". www.accredmed.org. Retrieved 22 October 2018.
- "Medical Professions Advising Pre-Medicine". Georgia Southern University.
- "Institution name - UMHS". Florida Department of Education.
- "AMSA International Medical Schools". Archived from the original on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 23 November 2011.