User:Daniel Mietchen/Talks/Open Science Days 2014
Open Science and Wikimedia
Warmup 1: Wikipedia
- Harnack House
- Stefan Hell
- STED microscopy
- Berlin Declaration
- Open Science aboard the MS Wissenschaft
Warmup 2: show of hands
- Number of people in the audience?
- Who has ever written a research article that finally got published?
- Who has ever written a research article that finally got published under an open license?
- Who has ever reviewed a research article?
- Who has ever signed their review of a research article?
- Who has ever used research datasets or scientific software published by others?
- Who has ever contributed to research datasets or scientific software published under an open license?
- Who has ever got scooped?
- Who has ever read a Wikipedia article (in any language)?
- Who has ever contributed to a Wikipedia article (in any language)?
Warmup 3: Format
Vision: Open science
|What have others said on the topic?|
|A water droplet surviving an attempt to be cut by a knife. (view stats)||A water droplet cut by a knife. (view stats)|
Publishing to and from Wikipedia
- Start GLAMorous: 1 2
- Wikipedia Cite-o-Meter
- We're working on identifiers
- Check GLAMorous: Open access (publishing)
- BaGLAMa: Open access
- Listen to Wikipedia
- Map of recent edits
- Wikimedia project growth animation
- Wikipedia live monitor
- Wikimedia counter
- See also.org
Open Access Media Importer
An example of open science - from the original proposal to all outputs.
- commons:User:Open Access Media Importer Bot (OAMI)
- Check GLAMorous OAMI
- Expansion to full-text import
- Wikipedia Zero
- Wikisource is included
- SciELO content is available in JATS, soon in PMC
- Problem: Inconsistent XML as a Barrier to Reuse of Open Access Content
- JATS4R is trying to address this
- Lescroël, A. L.; Ballard, G.; Grémillet, D.; Authier, M.; Ainley, D. G. (2014). Descamps, Sébastien, ed. "Antarctic Climate Change: Extreme Events Disrupt Plastic Phenotypic Response in Adélie Penguins". PLoS ONE. 9 (1): e85291. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0085291. PMC . PMID 24489657.
- Yanashima, R.; García, A. A.; Aldridge, J.; Weiss, N.; Hayes, M. A.; Andrews, J. H. (2012). Docoslis, Aristides, ed. "Cutting a Drop of Water Pinned by Wire Loops Using a Superhydrophobic Surface and Knife". PLoS ONE. 7 (9): e45893. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0045893. PMC . PMID 23029297.
- Williams, J. T.; Carpenter, K. E.; Van Tassell, J. L.; Hoetjes, P.; Toller, W.; Etnoyer, P.; Smith, M. (2010). Gratwicke, Brian, ed. "Biodiversity Assessment of the Fishes of Saba Bank Atoll, Netherlands Antilles". PLoS ONE. 5 (5): e10676. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0010676. PMC . PMID 20505760. CC0 full text media metadata
- Mietchen, D.; Maloney, C.; and Moskopp, N. D. (2013) Inconsistent XML as a Barrier to Reuse of Open Access Content. Journal Article Tag Suite Conference (JATS-Con) Proceedings 2013.
- Some related talks