Global Footprint Network, founded in 2003, is an independent think tank based in the United States. GFN works on global environmental issues.
GFN's goal is to create a future where all humans can live on one planet sustainably. Their headquarters are in Oakland, CA, but they also have offices in over 200 cities in 23 different countries; including Zurich and Belgium. They are partnered with the British think tank, the New Economics Foundation.
Earth Overshoot Day
Also known as Ecological Debt Day, Earth Overshoot Day is the day where the humans have demanded all of Earth's ecological services that nature can provide in a year. The first Earth Overshoot Day was December 19, 1987. In 2009, it occured on September 25. GFN plans to accelerate the use of the ecological footprint, which measures the amount of resources we have and who uses them.
- Executive Director: Mathis Wackernagel
- Managing Director: Susan Burns
- Corporate Attorney: Eric Frothingham
- Energy Entrepreneur: Michael Saalfeld
References and further reading
- "In the Eco-Red." New Scientist 192.2573 (Oct. 2006): 7. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 20 Oct. 2009.
- "September 25 Is Earth Overshoot Day." Albawaba.com 24 Sept. 2009. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 20 Oct. 2009.