Utah State Route 209
|Maintained by UDOT|
|Length:||8.753 mi (14.087 km)|
|Existed:||1969 – present|
|West end:||SR-68 in West Jordan|
|I-15 in Sandy|
|East end:||SR-210 near Little Cottonwood Canyon|
State Route 209 (SR-209) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Utah, following 9000 South and other east–west streets south of Salt Lake City. It connects I-15 in Sandy with the ski areas of Little Cottonwood Canyon, and, once an extension is complete, with the Bingham Canyon Mine.
9000 South begins at 5600 West in West Jordan, and heads downhill within the Salt Lake Valley as it runs east. It crosses the Savage Bingham and Garfield Railroad line to the Bingham Canyon Mine (ex-D&RGW) at Welby, and state maintenance begins as SR-209 when 9000 South crosses SR-68. After crossing the Jordan River, SR-209 begins climbing through the eastern part of the valley, passing through Sandy, and curving into 9400 South after crossing SR-71. The route ends at SR-210 near the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon, where the valley gives way to the Wasatch Range.
State Route 177 was designated in 1965 along 9000 South between SR-68 and US-89 in Sandy, in order to provide access to the new I-15. A second route - State Route 209 - was added in 1969, following 9400 South from US-89 east to SR-210. Due to increased traffic in the Sandy area, a new alignment of SR-210 was defined east of SR-71 in 1987 to connect 9000 South directly into 9400 South, and SR-210 was extended west over this proposed roadway and SR-177 to SR-68. A 2005 change extended it farther west over a proposed roadway to meet SR-48. As of 2008[update], the extension has been built to 5600 West, though it is not yet state-maintained, and the remainder, plus a continuation to SR-111, is in the area's regional transportation plan.
The entire route is in Salt Lake County.
|West Jordan||0.000||0.000||SR-48 (New Bingham Highway)||Proposed|
|SR-154 (Bangerter Highway)|
|5.350||8.610||SR-68 (Redwood Road)||Present west end of SR-209|
|Sandy||7.360||11.845||I-15 – Salt Lake City, Las Vegas||Interchange|
|7.859||12.648||US-89 (State Street)|
|8.849||14.241||SR-71 (700 East)|
|||14.592||23.484||SR-210 (Little Cottonwood Canyon Road) – Snowbird, Alta|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Utah Department of Transportation, Highway Reference Information: "SR-209". (20.7 KB), updated 2008-05-01, accessed July 2008
- Google Maps street maps and USGS topographic maps, accessed July 2008 via ACME Mapper
- Utah Department of Transportation, Highway Resolutions: "Route 177". (566 KB), updated November 2007, accessed May 2008
- Utah Department of Transportation, Highway Resolutions: "Route 209". (1.15 MB), updated November 2007, accessed May 2008
- Wasatch Front Regional Council, Adopted 2007-2030 Regional Transportation Plan, Chapter 8 – Recommended Improvements, accessed July 2008