|Elevation||1,630 m (5,350 ft)|
|District||Anza-Borrego Desert State Park,|
San Diego County
|Topo map||USGS Whale Peak|
The mountains lie in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, in an east–west direction, southwest of the community of Ocotillo Wells, and south of Highway 78. The range is approximately 15 miles (24 km) long, and reaches an elevation of 5,349 feet (1,630 m) above sea level at Whale Peak.
The Laguna Mountains are to the southwest and Volcan Mountains to the northwest, and the Pinyon Mountains and Borrego Valley are on the north side. The Sawtooth Mountains, Tierra Blanca Mountains and Jacumba Mountains ranges lie to the south and southeast.
- "Vallecito Mountains". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- Whale Peak, California, 7.5 Minute Topographic Quadrangle, USGS, 1959/1978
- Borrego Valley, California, 30x60 Minute Topographic Quadrangle, USGS, 1982
- El Cajon, California, 30x60 Minute Topographic Quadrangle, USGS, 1979
- Allan, Stuart (2005). California Road and Recreation Atlas. Benchmark Maps. p. 117. ISBN 0-929591-80-1.