A dry stone hut in Vals-près-le-Puy
|• Mayor (2001–2008)||Alain Royet|
|Area1||5.12 km2 (1.98 sq mi)|
|• Density||690/km2 (1,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||43251 /43750|
|Elevation||632–850 m (2,073–2,789 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Its inhabitants are known as Valladiers.
The town is located in the valley of the river Dolaizon. It forms the South-West border of Le Puy-en-Velay and its highest point is Mount Ronzon (850 m).
Le Puy became part of the province of Velay in 1789.
|From the year 1962 on: No double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.|
Places and monuments
- Augustinian Monastery early 17th century. Historic Monument.
- Church of Saint Vosy, chapel of the monastery 17th century. Historic Monument.
- Chibottes (ancient dry masonry constructions)
- Wooden chibotte of Lirate 17th century and 19th century.
Chibottes were circular or semi-circular stone huts built between the 17th century and the 19th century as shelters (especially for wine growers).
- Auguste Aymard, 1808–1889, mayor Vals-près-le-Puy, polymath (curator of the Crozatier museum, archivist, palaeontologist, archaeologist).
- Joseph Rumillet Charretier 1833–1916 grew verbena (Fr: verveine) at his property in Vals and founded the distillery Verveine du Velay in 1858.
- Michel Rioufol, artist who studied under Fernand Léger
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vals-près-le-Puy.|
- Census data for Vals-près-le-Puy on the INSEE site (French)
- Vals-près-le-Puy on the Institut Géographique National site (French)
- Weather for Vals-près-le-Puy (French)
- Site of the Mayor's Office (French)
- Financial Data for Vals-près-le-Puy from the Ministry of the Economy, Finances and Industry (French)
- Ministry of Culture site (French)
- Closest communes to Vals-près-le-Puy (French)
- Map and list of communes of the Haute-Loire (French)
- Map of Vals-près-le-Puy on Michelin (English)
- Map of Vals-près-le-Puy on the Institut Géographique National site (French)
- Map of Vals-près-le-Puy on Mapquest (English)
- Vals-près-le-Puy on the Cassini map (French)
- Map of Vals-près-le-Puy on Mappy (English)
- Location of Vals-près-le-Puy on a map of France (French)
- Calculate straight-line distance from Vals-près-le-Puy to other towns in the Haute-Loire (French)