A dry stone hut in Vals-près-le-Puy
|• Mayor (2001–2008)||Alain Royet|
|5.12 km2 (1.98 sq mi)|
|• Density||690/km2 (1,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||632–850 m (2,073–2,789 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
Its inhabitants are known as Valladiers.
The town is located in the valley of the river Dolaizon. It forms the South-West border of Le Puy-en-Velay and its highest point is Mount Ronzon (850 m).
Le Puy became part of the province of Velay in 1789.
|From the year 1962 on: No double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.|
Places and monuments
- Augustinian Monastery early 17th century. Historic Monument.
- Church of Saint Vosy, chapel of the monastery 17th century. Historic Monument.
- Chibottes (ancient dry masonry constructions)
- Wooden chibotte of Lirate 17th century and 19th century.
Chibottes were circular or semi-circular stone huts built between the 17th century and the 19th century as shelters (especially for wine growers).
- Auguste Aymard, 1808–1889, mayor Vals-près-le-Puy, polymath (curator of the Crozatier museum, archivist, palaeontologist, archaeologist).
- Joseph Rumillet Charretier 1833–1916 grew verbena (Fr: verveine) at his property in Vals and founded the distillery Verveine du Velay in 1858.
- Michel Rioufol, artist who studied under Fernand Léger
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vals-près-le-Puy.|
- Census data for Vals-près-le-Puy on the INSEE site (in French)
- Vals-près-le-Puy on the Institut Géographique National site (in French)
- Weather for Vals-près-le-Puy (in French)
- Site of the Mayor's Office (in French)
- Financial Data for Vals-près-le-Puy from the Ministry of the Economy, Finances and Industry (in French)
- Ministry of Culture site (in French)
- Closest communes to Vals-près-le-Puy (in French)
- Map and list of communes of the Haute-Loire (in French)
- Map of Vals-près-le-Puy on Michelin[permanent dead link] (in English)
- Map of Vals-près-le-Puy on the Institut Géographique National site (in French)
- Map of Vals-près-le-Puy on Mapquest (in English)
- Vals-près-le-Puy on the Cassini map (in French)
- Map of Vals-près-le-Puy on Mappy[permanent dead link] (in English)
- Location of Vals-près-le-Puy on a map of France[permanent dead link] (in French)
- Calculate straight-line distance from Vals-près-le-Puy to other towns in the Haute-Loire[permanent dead link] (in French)