|Rector of St Ebbe's Church, Oxford|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Oxford|
|Birth name||Vaughan Edward Roberts|
17 March 1965 |
Winchester, Hampshire, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Selwyn College, Cambridge
Wycliffe Hall, Oxford
Roberts was born on 17 March 1965 in Winchester, Hampshire, UK. He was educated at Winchester College, an all-boys public school in Winchester. He studied law at Selwyn College, Cambridge, and graduated from the University of Cambridge with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1988; as per tradition, his BA was promoted to a Master of Arts (MA (Cantab)) degree in 1991. In 1987, he was President of the Cambridge Inter-Collegiate Christian Union.
After graduation, he spent a short time in student ministry in South Africa. He then moved to Oxford and in 1989 entered Wycliffe Hall, an Anglican theological college. There, he studied theology and undertook training for ordained ministry.
Roberts was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1991 and as a priest in 1992. In 1991, he joined St Ebbe's Church, Oxford as a curate under David Fletcher. From 1995 to 1998, he was the Student Pastor with special responsibilities for students and student ministry. In 1998, when Fletcher retired, Roberts was appointed Rector of St Ebbe's. Since 2009, he has also been Director of the Proclamation Trust, an evangelical Christian association dedicated to training preachers in expository preaching.
Roberts has written a number of Christian books, including Turning Points, Distinctives, Battles Christians Face, True Worship, Life's Big Questions and God's Big Picture (an introduction to Biblical theology).
In the fifth anniversary edition of Battles Christians Face a new preface was added in which Roberts acknowledged struggles with unwanted same-sex attraction. He later publicly confirmed this in an interview, adding that he does not define himself as homosexual. He has chosen to remain celibate.
- Turning Points (1999: Authentic) ISBN 978-1-85078-336-7
- True Worship (2002: Authentic) ISBN 978-1-85078-445-6
- God's Big Picture: Tracing the Storyline of the Bible (2002: Inter-Varsity Press) ISBN 978-0-8308-5364-9
- Life's Big Questions: Six Major Themes Traced Through the Bible (2004: Inter-Varsity Press) ISBN 978-0-8308-5367-0
- God's Big Design: Life as He Intends It To Be (2005: Inter-Varsity Press) ISBN 978-0-8308-3343-6
- Distinctives (2006: Authentic) ISBN 978-1-85078-331-2
- Battles Christians Face (2007: Authentic) ISBN 978-1-85078-728-0
- Christmas in Three Words (2007: Inter-Varsity Press) ISBN 978-1-905564-81-1
- Missing the Point? Finding Our Place in the Turning Points of History (2007: Authentic) ISBN 978-1-85078-763-1
- True Spirituality: The Challenge of 1 Corinthians for the Twenty-First-Century Church (2011: IVP) ISBN 978-1-84474-518-0
- Workers for the Harvest Field, with Tim Thornborough (2006: The Good Book Company) ISBN 978-1-905564-30-9
- "Vaughan Roberts". CricketArchive. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- Stibbe, Mark (2003). "Our Mission in Britain III" (pdf). Anvil 20 (3): 197–201. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- "Vaughan Roberts". St Ebbe's Church, Oxford. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- "Vaughan Edward Roberts". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 18 June 2016. (subscription required)
- "The Leadership Team". The Proclamation Trust. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- Julian Hardyman (October 2012). "A battle I face". Evangelicals Now.
- Steffan, Melissa (27 September 2012). "Prominent Oxford Evangelical Vaughan Roberts Reveals Same-Sex Attraction". Christianity Today. Retrieved 12 October 2015.