|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Vedado (Spanish: El Vedado, Spanish pronunciation: [el βeˈðaðo]) is a central business district and urban neighborhood in the city of Havana, Cuba. Bordered on the east by Central Havana, and on the west by the Miramar / Playa district. Vedado is the most modern part of the city, developed in the first half of the 20th century, during the Republic period. The main street running east to west is Calle 23, also known as "La Rampa". The northern edge of the district is the waterfront seawall known as the Malecón, a famous and popular place for social gatherings in the city. Vedado is a ward (consejo popular) of the municipality Plaza de la Revolución.
- FOCSA Building, tallest building in Cuba at 121m
- Cine Yara (cinema)
- Coppelia (ice cream parlor)
- Embassy of the United States, Havana
- José Martí Anti-Imperialist Plaza
- Jewish religious centers include the Gran Sinagoga Bet Shalom and the Centro Hebreo Sefaradi
- John Lennon Park, named for the statue of Lennon located there
- Monument to the Victims of the USS Maine
- University of Havana
- National broadcast center for Cuban television.
Nearby neighborhoods include:
Government and infrastructure
23rd Street in Vedado is also the centerpoint of the city's gay scene in a country which now grants many rights to LGBT citizens. At night, 23rd St. is reminiscent of a gay district between the Cinema Yara and Coppelia ice cream parlor, and the foot of 23rd at the Malecón, with numerous gay entertainment options nearby such as the Bim Bom outdoor bar and the Las Vegas nightclub. Many of the casas particulares target LGBT clients as customers.
- Cuba, the Test of Time
- "Directory: World Airlines." Flight International. March 16–22, 2004. 47. "Calle 23, No 64 esq. a PVedado, Havana, Cuba"
- Home. Instituto de Aeronáutica Civil de Cuba. Retrieved on October 5, 2010. "Dirección: Calle 23 # 64, Vedado, Plaza de la Revolución, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vedado.|
- Hotels in Vedado, Havana Travel and tourism.