Vertical Velocity (roller coaster)
|Six Flags Great America|
|Park section||Yankee Harbor|
|Opening date||May 18, 2001|
|Type||Steel – Inverted – Launched|
|Track layout||Twisted Impulse|
|Height||185 ft (56 m)|
|Length||630 ft (190 m)|
|Speed||70 mph (110 km/h)|
|Capacity||1100 riders per hour|
|Height restriction||54–80 in (137–203 cm)|
|Trains||Single train with 7 cars. Riders are arranged 2 across in 2 rows for a total of 28 riders per train.|
Flash Pass Available
Must transfer from wheelchair
|Vertical Velocity at RCDB
Pictures of Vertical Velocity at RCDB
The coaster's single seven-car (28-passenger) train runs along a 200 m (656 ft) U-shaped track, incorporating two 185-foot (56 m) vertical spikes. The forward spike incorporates a twisted spiral, and the rearward spike provides a straight freefall. The 20 m (65 ft) train, propelled by linear induction motors (LIMs), is accelerated in less than four seconds to 70 mph (110 km/h) toward the forward tower before dropping back down through the station house and up the rearward tower. A holding brake is incorporated on the rear straight tower and is able to suspend the train momentarily (usually on the final ascent during each ride) before dropping it back down to the station house. However, the holding brake has not been used since September 2008 due to maintenance issues. The train passes, at speed, through the station four times per 2,700-foot (820 m) ride and is smoothly braked by eddy-current braking before being brought into final position at the station by the LIMs.
- 2001 – Construction completed; operation begun
- 2004 – Additional support was added on both towers to increase stability
- 2009 – Holding brake on the back spike ceased operation
- "Intamin - Pioneer of Amusement Rides - LIM Coaster: Twisted Impulse". intaminworldwide.com. Retrieved 31 May 2009.
- "Press Release (Six Flags Great America -- Two New Coasters In One Season!)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Duane Marden. 1 Mar 2001. Retrieved 31 May 2009.
- "V2 Vertical Velocity Roller Coaster - Six Flags Great America". Ultimate Rollercoaster. Ultimate Rollercoaster, LLC. Retrieved 31 May 2009.
- "Vertical Velocity (Six Flags Great America)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Duane Marden. Retrieved 31 May 2009.