From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vespers is the Catholic and Orthodox prayer service.
Vespers may also refer to:
- Evening Prayer (Anglican), the Anglican liturgy
- Asiatic Vespers, a massacre of Roman citizens during the Mithridatic Wars
- War of the Sicilian Vespers, a rebellion in Sicily in 1282 against King Charles I
- Sicilian Vespers, event that started the War of the Sicilian Vespers
Art, entertainment, and media
- All-Night Vigil (Rachmaninoff), an 1915 a cappella choral setting of the Orthodox prayer service by Sergei Rachmaninoff
- I Vespri Siciliani ("The Sicilian Vespers") an 1855 opera by Giuseppe Verdi based on events of the thirteenth-century rebellion in Sicily
- Vespers (album) an album by soprano saxophonist Steve Lacy
- Vespers (composition), a 1968 musical composition by Alvin Lucier
Books and Literature
- "Vespers", a 1990 novel by Ed McBain
- "Vespers", one of the poems in W.H. Auden's series "Horae Canonicae" published in The Shield of Achilles (1955)
- "Vespers", a poem in A.A. Milne's collection When We Were Very Young (1924)
- Vespers (video game), a 2005 Interactive Fiction title by Jason Devlin
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Vespers.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.