Apostolic Vicariate of Aysén
|Apostolic Vicariate of Aysén
Vicariatus Apostolicus Aysenensis
Vicariato Apostólico de Aysén
|Metropolitan||Immediately subject to the Holy See|
|Area||109,865 km2 (42,419 sq mi)|
|(as of 2010)
|Established||17 February 1940 (75 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of Our Lady of Sorrows in Coyhaique|
|Patron saint||Immaculate Conception|
|Apostolic Vicar||Luigi Infanti della Mora|
The Apostolic Vicariate of Aysén (in Latin: Vicariatus Apostolicus Aysenensis) is a see of the Roman Catholic church, in Chile. Originally, it was established as an Apostolic Prefecture on 17 February 1940 by Pope Pius XII and was subsequently elevated to Apostolic Vicariate on 8 May 1955. Its current bishop (Vicar Apostolic) is Mgr. Luigi Infanti della Mora, O.S.M.
The vicariate, which comprises the entire Region of Aisén (Aisén) in southern Chile, covers a territory of 109,865 km² and has 6 parishes. It is estimated than 79% of the inhabitants of the vicariate are Catholic. This figure represents about 72,000 Catholics out of a total population of 90,000. The vicariate is entrusted to the priests of the Lombardo-Veneto province (Italy) of the Servite Order. The mother church of the diocese is the Cathedral of Santa Teresita in the city of Puerto Aisén.
Bishops of the vicariate
- Antonio María Michelato Danese † (5 April 1940 - September 1958 resigned)
- Cesar Gerardo Vielmo Guerra † (19 December 1959 - 16 June 1963, died)
- Savino Bernardo Maria Cazzaro Bertollo (10 December 1963 - 8 February 1988 appointed archbishop of Puerto Montt)
- Aldo Maria Lazzarín Stella † (15 May 1989 - 19 January 1998 resigned)
- Luigi Infanti della Mora (30 August 1999 - )
- Santa Teresita, Cathedral - Puerto Aysén
Communities comprised in the parish: Sagrado Corazón, El Buen Pastor, El Carmen, Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, Catedral, Jesús Nazareno, Puerto Chacabuco. Comunidades Rurales: El Salto, Los Torreones, El Balseo, Villa Mañihuales, Alto Mañihuales
Communities comprised in the parish:
Urban: Co-catedral, Maria Inmaculada, Santuario Del Carmen, Sagrada Familia, San José, Cristo Obrero, Siete Santos Fundadores, Santos Juan Y Pablo, Santuario Jesús Nazareno, Santa Teresita de los Andes.
Rural: Balmaceda, El Blanco, Puerto Ibáñez, Levican, Cerro Castillo, Lago Pollux, Valle Simpson, Villa Frei, Seis Lagunas, Lago Atravesado, Alto Baguales, Villa Ortega, El Gato, Ñirehuao
- Nuestra Señora del Carmen - Chile Chico
Communities comprised in the parish: Chile Chico, Fachinal, Mallin Grande, Puerto Guadal, Puerto Bertrand, Río Tranquilo, Bahía Murta, Puerto Sánchez.
- Estrella del Mar - Puerto Aguirre
Communities comprised in the parish: Puerto Aguirre, Caleta Andrade, Estero Copa
- San José Obrero - Cochrane
Communities comprised in the parish: Cochrane, Caleta Tortel, Villa O'Higgins
- Nuestra Señora del Trabajo - Puerto Cisnes
Communities comprised in the parish: Puerto Cisnes, Villa Amengual, La Tapera, Lago Verde, La Junta, Puyuhuapi, Puerto Raúl Marín Balmaceda, Puerto Gala, Puerto Gaviota.
- Website of the diocese (in Spanish)
- Apostolic Vicariate of Aisén at the www.catholic-hierarchy.org website