Victor D. Norman
|Victor D. Norman|
Victor D. Norman in 2017
18 July 1946 |
|Institution||Norwegian School of Economics (NHH)|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
Victor Danielsen Norman (born 18 July 1946 in Risør) is a Norwegian economist, politician for the Conservative Party and newspaper columnist. He is currently professor of economics at the Norwegian School of Economics (NHH) and Chairman of the Institute for Research in Economics and Business Administration.
Victor Norman earned his bachelor's degree from Yale University and his PhD from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1972. Among his academic advisers were Charles P. Kindleberger, Paul A. Samuelson and Jagdish N. Bhagwati.
His book co-authored with Avinash K. Dixit, Theory of International Trade : A Dual, General Equilibrium Approach, ISBN 0-521-29969-1, is an application of the microeconomic principle of duality to trade theory, which William J. Baumol has called a clear, detailed, important contribution to the academic understanding of international trade. He was appointed professor of economics at NHH in 1975.
Victor Norman served as rector at NHH from August 1999 till October 2001. He was preceded in this position by Carl Julius Norstrøm and succeeded by Per Ivar Gjærum. He is a member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters.
From 19 October 2001 to 8 March 2004 he served as Minister of Labour and Government Administration in the second cabinet Bondevik. Among the issues he passed in his term was the removal of point accrual on frequent flyer programs for domestic flights.
- Institute for Research in Economics and Business Administration. "Om SNF". Retrieved 27 May 2008.[dead link]
- William J. Baumol (2000) "What Marshall Didn't Know: On the Twentieth Century's Contributions to Economics", Quarterly Journal of Economics Vol. 115, No. 1, pp ***-***, p. ***.
- Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration. "Victor Norman". Retrieved 27 May 2008.[dead link]
- Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration. "Past rectors at NHH". Retrieved 27 May 2008.[dead link]
- "Gruppe 7: Samfunnsfag (herunder sosiologi, statsvitenskap og økonomi)" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. Retrieved 26 October 2009.
- Government Administration Services. "Kjell Magne Bondevik's Second Government". Retrieved 27 May 2008.
- Dagens Næringsliv (7 June 2002). "Avviser bonus-klage".
Carl Julius Norstrøm
|Rector of the Norwegian School of Economics
Per Ivar Gjærum
|Minister of Labour and Government Administration