Vincenzo II Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Vincenzo II Gonzaga
|Duke of Mantua and Montferrat|
|Reign||1626 - 1627|
|Predecessor||Ferdinando I Gonzaga|
|Successor||Charles I Gonzaga|
|Born||7 January 1594|
|Died||25 December 1627|
|House||House of Gonzaga|
|Father||Vincenzo I Gonzaga|
|Mother||Eleonora de' Medici|
He was the son of Duke Vincent I and Eleonora de' Medici and inherited the duchy at the death of his elder brother Ferdinand, receiving the imperial investiture on February 8, 1627. He had also received a cardinalate on Ferdinando's succession, but had dismissed it in 1616 to be able to marry his relative Isabella Gonzaga, daughter of Alfonso Gonzaga, Count of Novellara.
Conscious of his unstable health, the childless Vincenzo set up a descendance for his lands through the marriage of his niece Maria (daughter of the former Duke Francis IV) with Charles of Nevers' son Charles of Gonzaga-Nevers. The elder Charles was a cousin of his father. Vincent died on the marriage day of Mary and Charles.
This section requires cleanup
Nobile had by Paola Scarpelli:
- Federico Gonzaga (1619-1630), Abbot of Lucledio.
- Tiberio Silvio Gonzaga (1620 - 3 July 1630), Knight of the Order of Malta and Balì of Armenia.
Nobile had by Luigia the said the"Spanish":
- Luigi Gonzaga (+1627), Infante.
- Giovanni Gonzaga (+Malta 1645), Abbot of Lucledio, and Knight of the Order of Malta.
- Coniglio, Giuseppe (1967). I Gonzaga. Varese: Dall'Oglio.
|Duke of Mantua
|Duke of Montferrat