Violins of Hope
The Violins of Hope collection is a collection of Holocaust related string instruments in Tel Aviv, Israel. The instruments serve to educate and memorialize the lives of prisoners in concentration camps through concerts, exhibitions and other projects. The collection is owned by father and son team Amnon and Avshalom Weinstein, who are both violin makers.
Concerts and exhibitions
In the first decade of the new millennium, Weinstein started to use the instruments of the Violins of Hope collection to initiate concerts combined with educational events teaching about the Holocaust.
|Year||Location and Musicians|
|2008||Jerusalem, Israel: Symphonette Orchestra and the Istanbul State Symphony Orchestra with Shlomo Mintz|
|2010||Switzerland, SION International Music Festival. Exhibition of selected instruments and concert with Shlomo Mintz |
|2011||Madrid, Spain, concert on occasion of International Remembrance Day with Shlomo Mintz, Cihat Askin, Hillel Zori, Sander Sittig, Enrique Perez and Emilio Navidad |
|2012||Charlotte, North Carolina: extensive program at the UNC Charlotte with concerts, exhibition, film screenings et al.|
|2013||Monaco: Philharmonic Orchestra of Monte Carlo, conducted by Gianluigi Gelmetti, with Schlomo Mintz |
|2015||Berlin, Germany: Exhibition and concert with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Simon Rattle|
|2016||Monterrey, Mexico: Concert with Esperanza Azteca Orchestra, conducted by Yoel Levi with Shlomo Mintz and Cihat Askin|
|2017||Jacksonville, Florida: concert with members of the Jacksonville Symphony, part of a month long Anne Frank exhibit|
|2018||Cincinnati, Ohio: The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Louis Langrée; The Cincinnati Chamber Orchestra conducted by Eckart Preu 
|2019||Knoxville, Tennessee: Exhibit and concert with Knoxville Symphony Orchestra |
- Rabinovitch, Ari "Jerusalem concert features violins saved from Nazis", Reuters.com, 24.09.2008
- Stephens, Thomas "Violins of Hope keep Holocaust memory alive", swissinfo.ch, 03.09.2010
- "VoH - Madrid, January 27, 2011",youtube.com, 04.12.2011
- "Amati Tefaf concert", amati-ensemble.nl, 24.03.2011
- Garfield, Ken "Violins of Hope: Notes from the Holocaust", Charlotte Magazine, 20.02.2012
- "Violins of Hope at the Grimaldi Forum", Monte Carlo SBM, May 2013
- "Eine Stimme verleihen", Blick Aktuell, 25.09.2014
- "Violins of Hope bei Villa Musica", youtube.com, 14.11.2014
- "Violins of Hope: an exhibition and the Berlin Philharmonie", The Strad, 27.01.2015
- Zaleski, Anne "Violins of Hope: See Fully-Restored Holocaust-Era Violins on Display and in Concert only in Cleveland", Thisiscleveland.com, 25.09.2015
- "The Violin of Shlomo Mintz in México", Belén Alonso Management, 14.02.2016
- Elliot, Amber "Holocaust Museum marks 20 years, pays tribute to the Bielski brothers", Houston Chronicle, 10.06.2016
- "Jacksonville Symphony to present Violins of Hope concert", Ponte Vedra Recorder, 08.12.2016
- Kipling, Kay "Violins of Hope comes to the Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee", Sarasota Magazine, 26.01.2017
- "Violins of Hope", The Library of Congress webcast
- Butu, Alina Grigoras "Violins of Hope heated up the Romanian Athenaeum's stage to mark Israel's 69th anniversary", The Romania Journal, 26.04.2017
- Zipperstein, Leah "Violins that survived the Holocaust have come to Cincinnati for a One-Night Only concert", Cincinnati Refined, 21.01.2018
- Bliss, Jessica "Violins of Hope: Master luthiers, father and son, restore instruments played during The Holocaust", Tennessean, 13.04.2018
- Rögner, Katharina "Geigen gegen das Vergessen", Jüdische Allgemeine, 7.11.2018
- Elling, Elisabeth "Geigen von Holocaust-Opfern im Konzerthaus Dortmund: Violins of Hope", Wa.de, 12.11.2018
- McRary, Amy "Violins of Hope exhibit: When a musical instrument is more than its sound", knox news, 09.01.2019
- Blomquist, Mala "The Valley's connection to the Violins of Hope", Arizona Jewish Life, 31.01.2019
- Davis, Barry "Auschwitz Exhibit shows how Prisoners used Faith to Survive", The Jerusalem Post, 04.07.2019
- Dutlinger, Anne D. (2001). Art, Music and Education as Strategies for Survival: Theresienstadt 1941-1945, Herodias.
- Gilbert, Shirli. Music in the Holocaust: Confronting Life in the Nazi Ghettos and Camps, Oxford University Press.
- Grymes, James A. (2014). Violins of Hope - Violins of the Holocaust - Instruments of Hope and Liberation in Mankind's Darkest Hours, Harper Perennial.
- Karas, Joza (1985). Music in Terezin 1941-1945, Beaufort Books.
- Laks, Szyman (2000). Music of Another World (Jewish Lives), Northwestern University Press.
- Newman, Richard; Kirtley, Karen (2003). Alma Rose: Vienna to Auschwitz, Amadeus Press.