This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Band picture taken at Troubadour, Los Angeles, in 2012.
|Also known as||Visa (2000–2009)|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Genres||Alternative metal, experimental rock, hard rock, gypsy punk, world music|
|Labels||Serjical Strike Records, Architects of Melody Records, SoundsUP records|
|Associated acts||Serj Tankian, System of a Down, Red Snow (disambiguation), Pancho and Sancho, Neurobox, ED, String Harmonies, Blackmore|
Andrew (Antranig) Kzirian
Viza (formerly known as Visa) is an American rock band from Los Angeles, California, using oud and percussion blended with more conventional rock elements such as guitar, bass and drums. Formerly known as Visa, the band has released two EPs and two full-length albums. The band's music mixes Armenian and Greek-inflected styles with elements of modern aggressive rock and traditional music. The band sometimes blends these various flavors with dance and satirical social commentary.
Viza has performed at Hungary's Sziget Festival, Sweden's Malmöfestivalen, Norway’s Kartfestivalen, and Slovenia's Schengenfest and Trnfest festivals, among dozens of headline shows, as a part of 6 European tours over the past 2 years.
Viza is currently associated with Serjical Strike Management headed by Serj Tankian from System of a Down. In August 2010, Viza embarked on a series of introductory performances in Europe, opening for Serj Tankian’s “Imperfect Harmonies” Tour in the cities of Yerevan, Athens, Hamburg, Cologne, Paris, Zurich and Bologna. Viza accompanied Serj Tankian again during his "Harakiri" World Tour in the Fall of 2012 as the main support act for 19 shows throughout North America and Europe.
In December 2011 the band released their fourth full-length album, Carnivalia, and released the title track as a single.
- 2006 - Maktub (as Visa)
- 2008 - Eros (as Visa)
- 2010 - Made In Chernobyl
- 2011 - Carnivalia
- 2014 - Aria
- 2001 - Visa (as Visa)
- 2007 - De Facto (as Visa)
- 2011 - Bake Me In Clouds
- 2012 - Alabama Song (Whisky Bar) (Bertolt Brecht, Kurt Weill)
- 2013 - In Coins
- 2014 - Midnight Hour
- 2014 - Fuego
- 2014 - When Doves Cry (Prince)
- 2014 - Naive Melody (Talking Heads)
- K'noup Tomopoulos - Vocals, 12 string guitar
- Orbel Babayan - Electric Guitar, Tar, Saz, Vocals
- Shant Bismejian - Electric Guitar
- Andrew (Antranig) Kzirian - Oud, Vocals
- Alex (Alexan) Khatcherian - Bass
- Chris Daniel - Drums
- Jivan Gasparyan Jr. - Duduk, Zurna (has not left the band, but has not appeared with the band on recordings or in concert since 2010 as he is overseas working)
- Johnny Nice - Guitar, Keyboards
- Carlos Alvarado - Guitar
- Danny Shamoun - Percussion
- Suguru Onaka - Keyboards, Accordion
- Hiram Rosario - Drums