Wadebridge Renewable Energy Network
Wadebridge Renewable Energy Network (WREN) based in Wadebridge, Cornwall, is a grass roots social enterprise aiming to transform the area into the first solar powerered and renewable energy powered town in the UK. The group plans to install 1 MW peak capacity of solar panels; with ten installations already in place and another ninety planned they hope to generate at least a third of its electricity from solar and wind power by 2015.
The scheme could also generate £450,000 a year for the town with money coming from a Feed-in tariff which offers a premium price for renewable energy. The county council has granted planning permission for four new solar farms and sent plans for a further five out for consultation. In February 2012 the WREN project was awarded £68,000 as part of the coalition Government's Local Energy Assessment Fund and in May 2012 won an award for Best Third Sector Business in the 2012 Cornwall Business Awards.
In 2013 Stephen Frankel (chairman of WREN) was named South West Sustainable Energy Champion at an award ceremony in Bath.
- "Cornish town aims to be UK's first to adopt solar power - struggle becomes YouTube series - Environment". The Independent. 2011-05-27. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- Tim Willmott (2011-05-05). "Wadebridge Renewable Energy Network". The Web of Hope. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- "WREN Brings Renewable Solar Energy To Wadebridge". Cornwall Times. 2011-05-23. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- "Wadebridge moves closer to becoming UK's first solar town". Solar Power Portal. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- This is Cornwall (2010-09-15). "AMBITIOUS plans to make Wadebridge a carbon neutral town have been revealed". This is Cornwall. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- "BBC News - Wadebridge aims for 30% renewable power". Bbc.co.uk. 2011-01-18. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- Lean, Geoffrey (2011-01-21). "Wadebridge: Britain's first solar-powered town?". Telegraph. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- "Wadebridge Renewable Energy Network awarded £68K by Government | Wadebridge People". wadebridgepeople.co.uk. 2012. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Wadebridge Renewable Energy Network wins award at 2012 Cornwall Business Awards | Wadebridge People". wadebridgepeople.co.uk. 2012. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
WREN wins award for Best Third Sector Business in the 2012 Cornwall Business Awards
- Morse Oscar (4 December 2013). "Cornish Guardian". p. 7. Retrieved 4 December 2013.