|Born||Rosemary Wahu Kagwi
|Other names||Wahu Kagwi Mathenge|
|Alma mater||University of Nairobi
|Spouse(s)||Nameless (m. 2006)|
|Labels||Ogopa Deejays (former)|
Rosemary Wahu Kagwi, professionally known by her mononym Wahu, is a Kenyan singer-songwriter, former fashion model, actress and entrepreneur. She released her first single "Niangalie" which received positive reception all over Africa and the world at large. She is the inaugural recipient of the MTV Africa Music Awards 2008, for Best Female Artist category. Moreover, she has won the Pearl of Africa Music Awards, Chaguo La Teeniez Awards and Kisima Music Awards. In the acting industry, Wahu had a leading role in the television series Tazama.
Wahu is a former model and University of Nairobi student, graduating in mathematics. She started her musical career in 2000. Her first three singles were "Niangalie", "Esha" and "Liar". Wahu released her first major hit, "Sitishiki" around 2005. some of her music has been produced by the Ogopa DJ's. Wahu has entertained audiences alongside many Kenyan and African Artistes like Kleptomaniacs, Fally Ipupa, Nonini, Nameless, Wyre, Qqu, and P-Unit.
Awards and nominations
- MTV Africa Music Awards 2008 - Best Female
- 2008 Pearl of Africa Music Awards - Best Female Artist (Kenya)
- 2008 CHAT Awards - Favourite Female Artiste
- 2008 Kisima Awards - Best Song ("Sweet Love") & Best Reggae Artiste/Group
- 2010 Tanzania music awards - Best Reggae Song ('Leo (Reggae remix)' with AY)
- 2006 Pearl of Africa Music Awards - Best Kenyan Female Artiste
- MTV Africa Music Awards 2008 - Best Newcomer
- 2008 MOBO Awards - Best African Act
- 2008 Kora Awards - Best Artiste or Group from East Africa (not yet held)
- 2009 Tanzania Music Awards - Best East African Song ("Sweet Love")
- 2009 MTV Africa Music Awards - Best Video ("Little Things You Do" with Bobi Wine)
- 2009 Channel O Music Video Awards - Best African East & Best Ragga Dancehall Video ("Sweet Love")
- 2011 Tanzania Music Awards - Best Song and Best Collaboration Song ('Mkono Mmoja' with Chege & Temba)
- "Wahu Kagwi". Ghafla. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "MAMA Awards winners". Bella Naija. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "Kisima Awards Winners 2008/2009 announced!". I.fienipa. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "WAHU - AFRICAN MUSICIAN". Fieni Pal Lyrics. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- The Standard, November 7, 2008: Unveiled: Kenya’s most influential celebrities[dead link]
- True Blaq Entertainment: Featured Artist - Wahu Kagwi Archived 11 May 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- Daily Nation, Buzz Magazine, August 29, 2008: Despite lean season, Wahu bounces back
- The Standard, September 19, 2008: Ogopa: Africa’s revered video stars[dead link]
- BBC, November 23, 2008: Nigerians sweep MTV Africa awards
- Museke: PAM Awards Winners 2008
- Ecoimagekenya.com, June 20, 2008: The annual Chaguo La Teeniez awards Winners
- Kisima Music Awards: 2008 Kisima Music Awards winners Archived 12 December 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- The Citizen: Newcomers ruling the roost[dead link] 21 May 2010
- Musicuganda.com: PAM 2006 nominees
- Museke: MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMAs) 2008 - the nominees
- Museke: Nominees for MOBO Best African Act 2008
- Museke: Kora All Africa Music Awards nominees 2008 - regional categories
- Kilimanjaro Awards: Nominees 2009
- Museke: MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMAs) 2009 nominees
- Museke: 2009 Channel O Africa Music Video Awards nominees
- allAfrica.com: '20 Percent' Grabs Seven Kili Music Awards Nominations