Waikato Hospital seen across Hamilton Lake.
|Location||Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand|
|Hospital type||Tertiary teaching hospital, base hospital for the Waikato region|
|Lists||Hospitals in New Zealand|
Waikato Hospital is a major regional hospital in Hamilton, New Zealand. It provides specialised and emergency healthcare for the Midlands and Waikato area with patients referred there from feeder hospitals like Whakatane, Lakes area, Tauranga, Thames, Tokoroa and Rotorua.
Waikato District Health Board employs more than 6000 people and plans, funds and provides hospital and health services to more than 372,865 people in a region covering eight per cent of New Zealand. Specialist services include:
For a full list of services visit Waikato Hospital Health Professionals
- Cardiac surgery / cardiology
- Emergency medicine
- General surgery
- Intensive care / Neonatal intensive care
- Orthopedic surgery
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Paediatric surgery
- Plastic surgery
- Renal care
- Respiratory care
- Urological care
- Vascular surgery
The centre is the main trauma facility for the area, and close connection to road and air transport (air ambulances, helicopter or fixed wing plane) allow patient-hospital transport in less than an hour from any place in the region.
The hospital has an academic division of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, University of Auckland, acting as a teaching and training centre for undergraduates and postgraduate medical and allied health science students. There is a dedicated training facility, the Bryant Education Centre. Research is also undertaken in cooperation with the Ruakura Agricultural Research Centre and the University of Waikato.
The hospital also has five chaplains who help perform social services and provide counseling, assisted by volunteers. The services are part-funded by the Ministry of Health, churches and donations. The hospital also operates 'Hilda Ross House', a hospital hotel owned by the District Health Board.
Diggers Bar and Café in Hamilton West was once the office of the Waikato District Hospital and Charitable Aid Board.
- Waikato Hospital (from the Waikato District health Board website. Retrieved 2007-10-09.)
- Waikato Hospital in Overload for Fourth Day in Row - Waikato District Health Board media release, via Scoop, Friday 10 August 2007
- "Hospital kindness strapped for cash". Waikato Times. 21 September 2007. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- Waikato Hospital (official hospital website from the Waikato District Health Board)
- Waikato Hospital Information page (Useful hospital information on a single page)