|Roy Thomas Fielding
Roy Fielding speaking at OSCON08.
Laguna Beach, California, United States, North America
|Alma mater||University of California, Irvine|
|Thesis||'Architectural Styles and the Design of Network-based Software Architectures' (2000)|
|Known for||REST, Apache HTTP Server|
Roy Thomas Fielding (born 1965) is an American computer scientist, one of the principal authors of the HTTP specification, an authority on computer network architecture, and co-founder of the Apache HTTP Server project.
Architectural Styles and the Design of Network-based Software Architectures, Fielding's doctoral dissertation, describes Representational State Transfer (REST) as a key architectural principle of the World Wide Web, and received a large amount of attention. People now frequently hold up REST as an approach to developing web services, as an alternative to other distributed-computing specifications such as SOAP. Fielding has also been heavily involved in the development of HTML and Uniform Resource Identifiers. Fielding was a co-founder of the Apache HTTP Server project and was a member of the interim OpenSolaris Boards until he resigned from the community in 2008. He was the chair of the Apache Software Foundation for its first three years and was a member of its board of directors until May 2014.
Between 2001 and 2006, Fielding worked on Waka, an application protocol intended as "a binary, token-based replacement for HTTP". It was "designed to match the efficiency of the REST architectural style".
- "Roy T. Fielding's personal Web site". 2012-11-19. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Roy Fielding's publications in Google Scholar". Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Roy T. Fielding". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Roy T. Fielding: Life story". University of California, Irvine.
- Roy T. Fielding (2011-07-27). "Re: OpenOffice.org branding". www-legal-discuss.
- Roy T. Fielding (1999-07-02). "Re: Kiwi Fruit". FoRK mailing list.
- "1999 Young Innovators Under 35". Technology Review. 1999. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- Fielding, R. T.; Taylor, R. N. (2000). "Principled design of the modern Web architecture": 407–416. doi:10.1145/337180.337228.
- Mockus, A.; Fielding, R. T.; Herbsleb, J. (2000). "A case study of open source software development". Proceedings of the 22nd international conference on Software engineering - ICSE '00. pp. 263–272. doi:10.1145/337180.337209. ISBN 1581132069.
- Mockus, A.; Fielding, R. T.; Herbsleb, J. D. (2002). "Two case studies of open source software development: Apache and Mozilla". ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology. 11 (3): 309–346. doi:10.1145/567793.567795.
- Roy T. Fielding (2008-02-14). "Sun's Responses to the OpenSolaris Trademark Questions". ogb-discuss.
- "Apache Software Foundation Board of Directors Meeting Minutes". 2014-05-21. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- "A conversation with Roy Fielding about HTTP, REST, WebDAV, JSR 170, and Waka". jonudell.net. 2006-08-25.
- Roy T. Fielding, Ph.D. (2002-11-19). "waka: A replacement for HTTP" (PPT).
- Fielding, Roy T. (2012). The Waka Protocol. Retrieved from https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/83/slides/slides-83-httpbis-5.pdf.
- Fielding, Roy Thomas (2000). "Architectural Styles and the Design of Network-based Software Architectures". Dissertation. University of California, Irvine.