Warren Dockter is a graduate of the University of Tennessee and gained his PhD at the University of Nottingham. His book Churchill and the Islamic World: Orientalism, Empire and Diplomacy in the Middle East (2015) challenged notions surrounding Winston Churchill's Islamophobia. According to Dockter, Churchill's often quoted criticism of Islam was written during a time of a fundamentalist revolt in Sudan and this statement does not reflect his full views of Islam as a religion, which were "often paradoxical and complex." He could be critical but at times "romanticized" the Islamic world; he exhibited great "respect, understanding and magnanimity." Churchill had a fascination of Islam and Islamic civilization. Winston Churchill's future sister-in-law expressed concerns about his fascination by stating, "[p]lease don't become converted to Islam; I have noticed in your disposition a tendency to orientalism." However, Dockter also asserted that Churchill "never seriously considered converting" to Islam.
- Holt, Andrew; Dockter, Warren (2017), Private secretaries to the prime minister : foreign affairs from Churchill to Thatcher, Routledge studies in modern British history, 20., Abingdon, Oxon, ISBN 1409441806
- Dockter, Warren (2015), Churchill and the Islamic world : Orientalism, empire and diplomacy in the Middle East, London, ISBN 1780768184
- Dockter, Warren (2015), Winston Churchill at the Telegraph, Aurum Press, ISBN 1781314527
- "People at the BIAA". biaa.ac.uk.
- Churchill's Family Begged Him Not to Convert to Islam, Letter Shows, NBC News
- Patrick Sawer, Sir Winston Churchill 's family feared he might convert to Islam, The Telegraph
- Matilda Battersby, Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals, December 29, 2014, The Independent
- Terrence McCoy, Family of young Winston Churchill feared he might convert to Islam, long-lost letter says, December 29, 2014, Washington Post
- Warren Dockter (February 24, 2014). "5 Things you didn't know about Winston Churchill and the Islamic World". Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- Kutner, Max. "London Mayor Boris Johnson on Winston Churchill's Cheekiest Quotes".