(Redirected from Waterfront Geelong)
The Geelong Waterfront is a tourist and recreation area on the north facing shores of Corio Bay in Geelong, Australia. The area was once part of the Port of Geelong, falling into disuse before being redeveloped during the 1990s.
- The Baywalk Bollards were created by local artist Jan Mitchell in the mid-1990s, with the timber painted sculptures reflecting local history and identities. Over 100 in number, they are installed right around the waterfront between Rippleside and Limeburners Point.
- Deakin University's Waterfront Campus and Costa Hall are located on the western side of the precinct. The campus accommodates around 1500 on-campus students studying programs in Architecture, Construction Management, Nursing and Occupational Therapy.
- Yarra Street Pier is located at the end of Yarra Street and features a number of restaurants, as well as being the departure point for helicopter joyflights. The majority of the pier was destroyed by fire in 1988, but various proposals have been made for the rebuilding.
- Cunningham Pier offers 'The Pier' a social venue.
- Steampacket Quay is located at the end of Moorabool Street and provided as sheltered location for ferries, seaplanes and other watercraft.
- The Carousel Pavilion houses a c.1892 Armitage-Herschell steam-driven carousel, c.1888 steam engine and a part-original, part replica 1898 Gavioli Band organ in a modern glass and steel building.
- The Sheraton Four Points is a 4½ star hotel with water views developed in the early 2000s.
- The Royal Geelong Yacht Club was established in 1859, and is located on the shores of the bay. The adjacent Bay City Marina was constructed in the 1980s.
- Eastern Beach is a popular swimming and recreation area in the centre of Geelong.
- "Shipmate News" (PDF). www.shipmate.com.au. February 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "Council's vision to revive Yarra Street Pier would make Geelong an international boating destination". City of Greater Geelong. www.geelongcity.vic.gov.au. June 23, 2006. Archived from the original on 2008-08-04. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- City of Greater Geelong: The Waterfront Story
- The Bay Link Concept - 1988
- City by the Bay concept - 1981
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Geelong.|