Wayne Henderson (musician)
|Birth name||Wayne Maurice Henderson|
September 24, 1939|
Houston, Texas, U.S.
April 5, 2014 (aged 74)|
Culver City, California, U.S.
|Genres||Soul jazz, hard bop|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, record producer|
|Associated acts||The Jazz Crusaders|
Wayne Maurice Henderson (September 24, 1939 – April 5, 2014) was an American soul jazz and hard bop trombonist and record producer. In 1961, he co-founded the soul jazz/hard bop group The Jazz Crusaders. Henderson left the group (who by then had changed their name to The Crusaders) in 1976 to pursue a career in producing, but revived The Jazz Crusaders in 1995.
- 1968: The Freedom Sounds fest. Wayne Henderson People Get Ready (Atlantic)
- 1969: The Freedom Sounds fest. Wayne Henderson Soul Sound System (Atlantic)
- 1977: At Big Daddies (ABC)
- 1977: Big Daddy's Place (ABC)
- 1978: Living on a Dream (Polydor)
- 1978: Step into Your Life (Polydor)
- 1979: Emphasized (Polydor)
- 1980: Roy Ayers/Wayne Henderson Prime Time (Polydor)
- 1993: Sketches of Life - Wayne Henderson & The Next Crusade
With The (Jazz) Crusaders
- Freedom Sound (Pacific Jazz, 1961)
- Lookin' Ahead (Pacifi Jazz, 1962)
- The Jazz Crusaders at the Lighthouse (Pacific Jazz, 1962)
- Tough Talk (Pacific Jazz, 1963)
- Heat Wave (Pacific Jazz, 1963)
- Jazz Waltz (Pacific Jazz, 1963) with Les McCann
- Stretchin' Out (Pacific Jazz, 1964)
- The Thing (Pacific Jazz, 1965)
- Chile Con Soul (Pacific Jazz, 1965)
- Live at the Lighthouse '66 (Pacific Jazz, 1966)
- Talk That Talk (Pacific Jazz, 1966)
- The Festival Album (Pacific Jazz, 1966)
- Uh Huh (Pacific Jazz, 1967)
- Lighthouse '68 (Pacific Jazz, 1968)
- Powerhouse (Pacific Jazz, 1969)
- Lighthouse '69 (Pacific Jazz, 1969)
- With Wilton Felder
- 1969 Bullitt (Pacific Jazz)
- With Monk Montgomery
- With Ronnie Laws
- With Caldera
- 1976 Caldera (album) (Capitol)
- With Pleasure
- 1976 Accept No Substitutes (Fantasy)
- With Gábor Szabó
- 1977: Faces (Mercury)
- Tamarkin, Jeff (April 7, 2014). "Wayne Henderson, Crusaders Mainstay, Dead at 74". JazzTimes.
- Berendt, Joachim-Ernst (1976). The Jazz Book. Paladin. p. 387. ISBN 978-0586082607.
- Martin, Douglas (April 9, 2014). "Wayne Henderson, a Founder of the Jazz Crusaders, Dies at 74". The New York Times.
- Perrone, Pierre (July 4, 2014). "Wayne Henderson: Trombonist, composer and producer who co-founded the Jazz Crusaders, pioneers of the jazz fusion movement". The Independent.
- Sketches of Life at AllMusic
- Coryell, Julie; Friedman, Laura (2000). Jazz-Rock Fusion: The People, The Music. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 303. ISBN 978-0793599417.