|Wayne P. Maddison|
|Alma mater||University of Toronto, Harvard University|
NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship (1988–1990),|
David and Lucile Packard Fellowship for Science and Engineering (1993–1998),
Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (2011)
|Fields||Systematics, phylogenetics, computer programming, arachnology, ecology|
|Institutions||University of British Columbia, Beaty Biodiversity Museum, University of Arizona, U. C. Berkeley|
Wayne Paul Maddison FRSC, is a professor and Canada Research Chair at the departments of zoology and botany at the University of British Columbia, and the Scientific Director of the Beaty Biodiversity Museum.
His research concerns the phylogeny, biodiversity, and evolution of jumping spiders (Salticidae), of which he has discovered new species and genera.
He has also done research in phylogenetic theory, developing and perfecting various methods used in comparative biology, such as character state inference in internal nodes through maximum parsimony, squared-change parsimony, or character correlation through the concentrated changes test or pairwise comparisons. In collaboration with David R. Maddison, he worked on the Mesquite open-source phylogeny software, the MacClade program, and the Tree of Life Web Project.
His research has led him to discover new species of jumping spiders in Sarawak and Papua New Guinea.
- Maddison, Wayne P.; Donoghue, Michael J.; Maddison, David R. (March 1984). "Outgroup Analysis and Parsimony". Systematic Zoology. 33 (1): 83–103. doi:10.2307/2413134.
- Maddison, Wayne P. (1997). "Gene Trees in Species Trees". Systematic Biology. 46 (3): 523–536. doi:10.1093/sysbio/46.3.523.
- Knowles, LL; Maddison, WP (December 2002). "Statistical phylogeography". Molecular Ecology. 11 (12): 2623–2635. doi:10.1046/j.1365-294X.2002.01637.x. PMID 12453245.
- Maddison, Wayne. "Wayne Maddison". Wayne Maddison Lab. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "UBC faculty elected Royal Society of Canada Fellows". University of British Columbia. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Wayne Maddison". Department of Zoology. University of British Columbia. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Contact". Beaty Biodiversity Museum. University of British Columbia. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- Maddison WP (1989). "Reconstructing character evolution on polytomous cladograms". Cladistics. 5: 365–377. doi:10.1111/j.1096-0031.1989.tb00569.x.
- Maddison WP (1991). "Squared-change parsimony reconstructions of ancestral states for continuous-valued characters on a phylogenetic tree". Systematic Zoology. 40 (3): 304–314. doi:10.2307/2992324.
- Maddison WP (1990). "A method for testing the correlated evolution of two binary characters: are gains or losses concentrated on certain branches of a phylogenetic tree?". Evolution. 44 (3): 539–557. doi:10.2307/2409434.
- Maddison WP (2000). "Testing character correlation using pairwise comparisons on a phylogeny". Journal of Theoretical Biology. 202 (3): 195–204. doi:10.1006/jtbi.1999.1050. PMID 10660474.
|This article about a zoologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|