Wayne van Heerden
|Date of birth||29 March 1979|
|Place of birth||Graaff-Reinet|
|Height||1.97 m (6 ft 5 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||106 kg (16 st 10 lb)|
|School||Spandau Secondary School, Graaff-Reinet
Hoërskool Brandwag, Uitenhage
|Rugby union career|
Wayne van Heerden (born 29 March 1979) is a former South African rugby union player, who played mainly as a flanker for the majority of his career before becoming a lock towards the end of his career. He made in excess of 200 first class appearances and retired from professional rugby at the end of the 2013 season.
He currently plays amateur club rugby for Eastern Province Grand Challenge side Port Elizabeth Police.
He made his first class debut for Port Elizabeth-based side Mighty Elephants in 2000, playing for them in the domestic Currie Cup and Vodacom Cup competitions for the next six seasons, mainly in the First Division. During this time, he was also included in the Sharks Super Rugby squad in 2002 and 2003.
At the start of the 2006 season, he moved to Kimberley to join Griquas, where he plied his trade between 2006 and 2009. He also experienced some Super Rugby action during this time, making thirteen appearances for the Cheetahs during the 2009 Super 14 season.
Eastern Province Kings
He returned to the Eastern Cape at the conclusion of the 2010–11 Top League season, rejoining former side Mighty Elephants – which was rebranded the Eastern Province Kings in 2010 – during the 2011 Vodacom Cup season and made just short of 50 appearances for them during his second spell at the side.
Van Heerden also made several appearances for various South African national sides – he played for the South African Schools side in 1997 and 1998, as well as for the Under–19 national side in 1998. He also played for South Africa at Under–21 level in 2000, at Under–23 level in 2001 and for a South African 'A' side in 2001 and 2002.
- "SA Rugby Player Profile – Wayne van Heerden". South African Rugby Union. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- "Wayne van Heerden 2009–10 stats" (in Japanese). Top League. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "Wayne van Heerden 2010–11 stats" (in Japanese). Top League. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- Green, Michael (7 January 2013). "Kings het geen plek vir Tiger". Beeld (in Afrikaans). Media24. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Wayne pak toks weg ná 230 stryde". Media24 (in Afrikaans). Beeld. 6 November 2013. Retrieved 7 November 2013.