Wes McKinney is an American software developer and businessman. He was the CEO and founder of technology startup Datapad. He is the creator and "Benevolent Dictator for Life" (BDFL) of the open-source pandas package for data analysis in the Python programming language, and has also authored two versions of the reference book Python for Data Analysis.. McKinney is one of the co-creators of the Apache Arrow project. He worked as a software engineer for Cloudera following their acquisition of Datapad in 2014. He was a software engineer at Two Sigma Investments. He founded Ursa Labs.
Early life and education
From 2007 to 2010, he researched global macro and credit trading strategies at AQR Capital Management. From 2010 to 2012, he served as a Python consultant to hedge funds and banks while developing Pandas. In 2012 he co-founded Lambda Foundry Inc.
McKinney co-founded Datapad in January 2013. He was funded by Accel Partners and others. Datapad was acquired by Cloudera in September 2014. He worked on an open-source project called Ibis, incubated within Cloudera Labs, aiming at using Python for big data problems. Wes then worked at Two Sigma Investments. He founded Ursa Labs.
- McKinney, Wes (2013). Python for data analysis (1 Aufl. ed.). Sebastopol, Calif.: O'Reilly. ISBN 1449319793. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- McKinney, William. Python for Data Analysis.
- "Wes McKinney - Founder and CEO @ DataPad | CrunchBase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "DataPad | CrunchBase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Data startup DataPad gets acquired, says it will shut down on Friday". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Cloudera Bought Datapad". GigaOm. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- "Ibis on Impala: Python at Scale for Data Science - Cloudera Engineering Blog". Cloudera Engineering Blog. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
[W]e are excited to announce a new open source project, called Ibis, that will deliver the great Python experience and ecosystem, only at any data and node scale.
- "DataPad emerges to let everyone at your company create and play with charts". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Meet Quantopian's Newest Advisor: Wes McKinney". Quantopian Blog. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Big data's 4 big Vs: It's our Data Summit highlights - Web Summit Blog". Web Summit Blog. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "LFPUG: Python in the enterprise + Pandas | Enthought Blog". blog.enthought.com. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Big Data Conference - Wes McKinney". O'Reilly Media. Retrieved 10 January 2016.