West Yorkshire Combined Authority
West Yorkshire Combined Authority
|Founded||1 April 2014|
|Preceded by||West Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority|
Governance and Audit
Overview and Scrutiny
|1 April 2014|
|Wellington House, 40-50 Wellington Street|
The West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA) is the combined authority for West Yorkshire in England. It was established by statutory instrument under the Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act 2009 on 1 April 2014. It is a strategic authority with powers over transport, economic development and regeneration. The chair of the authority is Peter Box.
The abolition of West Yorkshire County Council in 1986 left the county without a single authority covering the whole area, although some council functions including archive services and Trading Standards continued to be provided jointly, through West Yorkshire Joint Services, and the West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive and West Yorkshire Police continued to operate across the county.
Since April 2007 the Leeds City Region Partnership has evolved to coordinate activities across the Leeds City Region, which includes Barnsley in South Yorkshire, the CIty of York and three districts of North Yorkshire, as well as the whole of West Yorkshire. Strategic local governance decisions have been made by the joint committee of the Leeds City Region Leaders Board. A multi-area agreement was established in 2008 and since 2011 economic development has been supported by the Leeds City Region LEP, which forms a business-led local enterprise partnership.
The West Yorkshire Combined Authority was proposed in 2012 as part of a "city deal". The combined authority covered only West Yorkshire, and not the other areas of the Leeds City Region. In order to create a combined authority the local authorities had to undertake a governance review and produce a scheme of their proposals. A consultation ran from November 2013 to January 2014 and the responses were published in February 2014. The combined authority was established on 1 April 2014, following statutory approval on 31 March 2014.
In June 2017 plans for the West Yorkshire Combined Authority super-council to re-brand as the "Leeds City Region" were shelved, as Bradford councillor Simon Cooke said it would "piss a few people off". Peter Box who's the leader for Wakefield Council agreed with Simon Cooke's opinion.
|Name||Membership||Position within nominating authority||Nominating authority|
|Peter Box||Constituent||Leader of the Council||Wakefield Metropolitan District Council|
|Shabir Pandor||Constituent||Leader of the Council||Kirklees Metropolitan Borough Council|
|Tim Swift||Constituent||Leader of the Council||Calderdale Metropolitan Borough Council|
|Susan Hinchcliffe||Constituent||Leader of the Council||Bradford City Council|
|Judith Blake||Constituent||Leader of the Council||Leeds City Council|
|Keith Aspden||Non-constituent||Leader of the Council||City of York Council|
|Roger Marsh||Non-constituent||Chair||Leeds City Region LEP|
The combined authority operates through three committees: the West Yorkshire and York Investment Committee, Transport Committee and Overview and Scrutiny Committee. The Transport Committee replaced the West Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority. A Governance and Audit Committee also advises the authority in relation to financial management and governance. Public transport policy is delivered through the Metro brand, which was previously the public facing identity of the West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive.
WYCA will take over responsibility for payment of Apprenticeship Grant for Employers from 1 August 2015.
- "Leaders Board: Introduction". Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "About Us: Leeds City Region Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP)". Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Proposal: A Leeds City Region Deal" (PDF). July 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Six biggest English cities get extra powers". Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Summary of responses to consultations on proposals to establish the Combined Authorities" (PDF). Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Scheme for the Establishment of a Combined Authority for West Yorkshire
- "The West Yorkshire Combined Authority Order 2014" (PDF). Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Beever, Susie (30 June 2017). "Supercouncil shelve Leeds City Region rebranding - because it would 'p*** people off'". huddersfieldexaminer. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- "New combined authority to hold first public meeting". Leeds City Council. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "West Yorkshire Combined Authority". Westyorks-ca.gov.uk. 29 September 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Untitled Page". westyorks-ca.gov.uk. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Facilities for Apprenticeship Grant for Employers: Financial Year 2015 to 2016" (PDF). www.gov.uk. Skills Funding Agency. March 2015. Retrieved 5 February 2016.