Wezel Apis 2
The rights to the Apis 2 design were sold to Yuneec International of China in 2011 with the intention of selling only an electric version. Wezel announced in June 2012 that the move of production had been delayed indefinitely.
Design and development
The Apis 2 is a retractable engine motor glider that is powered by a 28 hp (21 kW) Hirth F-33 single cylinder, two-stroke powerplant. The engine is retracted into a bay behind the cockpit for soaring flight. The Apis 2 is built predominately of composites. The 15 m (49.2 ft) span wing features winglets and produces a 39:1 glide ratio. The landing gear is a retractable monowheel gear.
Specifications (Apis 2)
Data from World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2003-04
- Crew: one
- Wingspan: 15.00 m (49 ft 3 in)
- Wing area: 12.4 m2 (133 sq ft)
- Gross weight: 300 kg (661 lb)
- Stall speed: 60 km/h (37 mph; 32 kn)
- Never exceed speed: 200 km/h (124 mph; 108 kn)
- Maximum glide ratio: 39:1
- Rate of sink: 0.6 m/s (120 ft/min)
- Wing loading: 24.2 kg/m2 (5.0 lb/sq ft)
- Bertrand, Noel; Rene Coulon; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2003-04, page 60. Pagefast Ltd, Lancaster OK, 2003. ISSN 1368-485X
- Pilot Mix (n.d.). "Martin Wezel Flugzeugtechnik Apis 2". Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 138. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- Wezel Flugzeuge (2012). "Apis 2". Retrieved 5 December 2012.