White Wolf (Yosemite)
White Wolf is a campground and concession area outside of Yosemite Valley in the northern area of Yosemite National Park ( ) along Tioga Road (Highway 120). The campground is directly off the road and thus does not require a rough drive to the campground such as other Yosemite campgrounds outside of the valley. White Wolf Campground contains 74 campsites and has the look and feel of Bridalveil Creek Campground. The campground is not near a creek and is quite rocky and sunny. The area also includes a cluster of wood-and-canvas cabins and a small restaurant and general store.
Settlement in the White Wolf area began in the early 20th century, after the construction of the Tioga Road. The first structures were likely shelters for ranch hands, and by 1930 the area was home to a small resort which included tents, tourist cabins, a small store and restaurant, and a gas station. After a drop in tourism following World War II and the relocation of the highway, the land was purchased by the government, with concession rights held by the Yosemite Park and Curry Co. The public campground was improved in 1960-1961.
Sources differ on the origin of the name. According to one story, cattlemen pursuing horse thieves in 1850 came upon an encampment of Indians led by a tribal chief whose name was White Wolf, and named the place after him. Another story is that it was named by a sheepherder who saw a white wolf in the area.
- Yosemite Creek Campground
- Porcupine Flat Campground Campground
- Olmsted Point
- Tenaya Lake
- Tuolumne Meadows
- Tamarack Flat Campground
- Crane Flat Campground
- Yosemite Valley
- Eric Peterson, Don Laine (2006). Frommer's Yosemite and Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks. Frommer's. p. 68. ISBN 0-471-92656-6.
- Keith A. Trexler. "The Tioga Road; a History 1883-1961, "Business Ventures"". Retrieved 2008-04-12.
- Erwin Gustav Gudde, William Bright (1998). California Place Names: The Origin and Etymology of Current Geographical Names. University of California Press. p. 422. ISBN 0-520-24217-3.