||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2013)|
Type of site
|Available in||Multilingual (3 active Main Page translations)|
|Owner||Wikimedia Italia |
|17,497,248 (March 2014[update])|
WikiAfrica focuses on getting external Africa-based, cultural organisations, museums and archives, as well as bloggers and journalists, to contribute their knowledge to Wikipedia. The project is an international collaboration that intends to Africanise Wikipedia by creating and expanding 30.000 articles on Wikipedia over two years. The principal reason for this focus is for people with the greatest knowledge of the African continent to participate in the online representation of Africa. This project will contribute to building a free and open encyclopedia that provides greater access and visibility to current information and historic archives about Africa.
WikiAfrica began in 2007, its leadership focusing on producing content, ensuring the involvement of experts and institutions, assessing and utilizing other assets and dealing with other critical aspects of the project.
Non-profit foundation Lettera27 and contemporary art platform Africa Centre joined together in order to obtain more information from Africans about Africa. In terms of marking events, people and places of global historic importance, literature, science, art or any other information Africa has been the least visible continent on the internet. It was decided to not merely translate the English Wikipedia, but to expand the coverage of Africa and its culture.
Pan-African based organisations and WikiAfrica users are asked to create new articles, expand the African content and improve the information that has already been given. This can be done by sharing knowledge and translating articles.
Network and participants
- "WikiAfrica.org WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools". domaintools.com.
- "Wikiafrica.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- L'Africa tramandata L'inizia tiva al Festival della letteratura, Paolo Marcesini. Il Sole 24 Ore. "How you can put on the net people who have knowledge of the African continent and share knowledge in the agora and wider international world?... lettera27 the workshop, the non-profit foundation supported by Moleskine"
- "Africultures - Entretien - WikiAfrica, un outil pour promouvoir une attitude consciente et active de ses utilisateurs". africultures.com.
- "Mantova, tutti insieme per Wikiafrica Al lavoro per dar "voci" a chi non le ha - Scienza & Tecnologia - Repubblica.it". repubblica.it.
- "WikiAfrica". WikiAfrica. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Moleskine lancia la sfida ai disegnatori: la «staffetta creativa» arriva a Napoli - Corriere del Mezzogiorno". corriere.it.
- "Nigrizia su Wikipedia". nigrizia.it.
- "Designism 3.0 Showcases ‘Simple Ideas That Help People’". mediabistro.com.
- Conclusi i WikiAfrica Workshop di Mantova. Iopensa, Quaderno d'appunti di Iolanda Pensa
- "La vocazione tecnologica dell’Africa al Festivaletteratura di Mantova". nigrizia.it.
- Solidarietà/ In viaggio con la Moleskine per aiutare l'Africa. AffarItaliani.it
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Africa Centre.|