Wikipedia:Ambassadors/Research/Article quality/Article Review Party
This event is scheduled for Tuesday, June 26th, from 5–8PM.
Participants will review a sample of student articles from the Spring 2012 term of the U.S. and Canada Education Programs, in which university students edited Wikipedia articles as part of coursework. These reviews are a central part of a research project that the Education Program team is running, to assess what factors in a class (is it the class size? the class level of the students? whether the professor has edited Wikipedia himself/herself before? something else?) are most closely correlated with successful student contributions to Wikipedia.
(In quantitative-research jargon, the article reviews that you will do will form the bulk of the dependent variable data in this research project — your reviews will reveal how high-quality the student articles from each class are. A Wikimedia contractor is collecting the independent variable data for as many classes as possible — things like class size, students' class level, etc. And then a data analyst will find links between the class attributes [independent variables] and your assessment of the articles [dependent variables] to hopefully better our understanding of what goes into making certain classes more successful than others in terms of adding substantial good content onto the English Wikipedia.)
The outcomes of this research project will directly impact the recruitment strategies for the U.S. and Canada Education Programs in the upcoming academic terms.
A group of helpful Wikipedians already reviewed some student articles over the past few weeks, but a lot, a lot more student articles still need to be reviewed, so we need your help! That's why we're having this Education Program Article Review Party, hosted by the Wikipedia Education Program team. We will provide food and beverages to participants as a means of saying thank you!
- Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2012
- Time: 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Participants can drop by for as many hours as personal schedules allow during that period!
- Location: Wikimedia Foundation office (149 New Montgomery St., San Francisco, CA 94105)
- Who should participate: Any and all Wikipedians living in the Bay Area who can make it (in this specific context we are using "Wikipedian" to refer to someone who has an extensive contribution history on Wikipedia)
- What you'll be doing: Reviewing articles — as many as you can handle! — from the Spring 2012 term of the U.S. and Canada Education Programs. (Note: we'll be reviewing a sample of articles — not all articles — from each class.)
- Moreover: Wikimedia Foundation will provide pizza and beverages for all participants. Yum. Likely Wikimedia staff will also bring music so we can dance (or at least hum) while we review articles. Participants are welcome to bring their own music too.
- More information about this Education Program research project
- Information about the the standard metric this project is using to review articles (it's the same metric that Wikimedia Foundation staff and English Wikipedians used and proved to be effective during the Public Policy Initiative)
- The student articles that need reviewing are linked from the bottom of this page.
I want to help with reviewing articles, but I can't come to the Wikimedia Foundation office on Tuesday, June 26th!
- That's okay, you can join us via IRC! We'll be on the #wikipedia-en-classroom (web connect) Freenode IRC channel that day to coordinate with Wikipedians who want to partake in this Article Review Party remotely.
- Great question! The answer is yes and no. Please bring a computer/laptop if you have one (or have easy access to one)! If you do not have access to one, please let us know and we'll try to secure a laptop you can use just for the Article Review Party. Annie Lin (Wikimedia Foundation) (talk) 05:07, 20 June 2012 (UTC)
Sign up to join in the Article Review Party!
Please also include when you think you can arrive at the party and when you'll have to leave. If you have any dietary restrictions (e.g. vegetarian), be sure to note that too.
I'll be at the Wikimedia Foundation office for this!
- Jami (I will be here until closing time. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here. I will eat any food.) JMathewson (WMF) (talk) 18:19, 19 June 2012 (UTC)
- Frank Schulenburg
- Luis Campos
- Steven Walling (11ish-2pm)
- Stephen LaPorte (I can arrive ~12) (Vegetarian)
- Name (can be at this party from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. I'm vegetarian.)