About this event
The Institute of Cultural Inquiry in Los Angeles is holding its third editathon, this one focusing on the representation of international women in the arts in different versions of Wikipedia.
We will offer practical help and advice to new editors and a friendly, quiet place to edit pages. We will also offer a special tutorial on translating pages from non-English versions of Wikipedia to the English-language Wikipedia (and vice versa), a topic we think will be of broad interest. If you're not sure where to start, you can work from one of our lists of notable people who are not yet in Wikipedia. You’ll have access to the 3000+ books on art and visual culture in our library to help you in your research, not to mention the minds and experience of everyone in the room. The ICI will provide drinks and snacks to sweeten the session.
When and where
- Date: Saturday, June 20, 2015, 12-5 pm
- Venue: Institute of Cultural Inquiry, 1512 S. Robertson Blvd., Los Angeles, CA
- Cost: Free. There is ample free street parking nearby.
- Participants: No Wikipedia editing experience is necessary; in fact, we especially encourage you to come if you are new to Wikipedia and want to try it out. ICI Associate Antoinette LaFarge will give the scheduled tutorial at 1:00 pm, and we will be providing help for beginners throughout the afternoon. You are welcome to stay for the whole afternoon, or drop in for just awhile.
- What to bring: Please bring your own laptop and power cord if you have one but don't stay away if you don't. We have a small number of computers for attendees to use.
- RSVP requested; please add your name below or email email@example.com
Who we are
The Institute of Cultural Inquiry (ICI) is a small artist-run non-profit organization focused on visual technologies and and visual culture. The Institute sponsors research, displays, symposia, workshops, performances, residencies, and tactical interventions. It maintains an active publishing program through the ICI Press. Check out the ICI website for more information about its activities.
Please add your name if you plan to attend:
- Antoinette LaFarge -- I'll be facilitating and giving demos.