Wikipedia:Tip of the day/February 8
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia Search box - basic
Wikipedia has its own search engine, with its search box on every page. The search box will go to a given page name, but there are three ways to go to the search results page instead.
- If you activate the magnifying-glass icon (or the Search button) from an empty search box, you'll go to an empty search results page.
- If you start any query with the tilde character, it always generates search results, ~page name.
At an empty Search display, there are filtering options for:
- Content pages – Search in (Article)
- Multimedia – Search for files
- Everything – Search of all content (including talk pages)
- Advanced – Search in custom namespaces