Wikipedia:WikiProject Military history/Peer review/Corinthian War
This is probably the most difficult article I've ever written, since Xenophon apparently wrote Book 4 of the Hellenica while hitting himself in the head with a brick. I think I've gotten it into pretty good shape, though, and I'm looking to get it featured. What do people think it needs? Thanks, RobthTalk 15:04, 27 March 2006 (UTC)
Very good article. A few suggestions:
- Some of the sub-sections of "Later war"—the first two in particular—are quite short; if there's no material with which to expand them, you may want to merge them together as needed.
- A variety of minor cleanup needs to be done: eliminate the redundant "See also" section; fix any section headings that don't follow the Manual of Style ("The" should generally be omitted); fix up the campaignbox (there are some red-linked battles in the article that aren't listed there); add any needed categories (a century one at least; I'm not sure if there are any other appropriate ones).
- Thanks for the comments. I've gone through and done much of the cleanup, although haven't figured out how to deal with the small sections just yet. I definitely need to work on/create about a dozen related articles before putting this up on FAC. RobthTalk 18:04, 27 March 2006 (UTC)
Very good article. I reckon it was hard to write down.
- Maybe some comments are needed about the situation after 394 BC. (Who had the upper hand on land warfare and sea warfare, and what strategies the two enemies where planning to carry out).
- The sentence The allies lost 2800 men, the Spartans and their allies 1100. does not sound very good to me.
- The map in the article is quite poor. I think that one or two detailed maps would really increase the value of the article. For instance, a map in which the main cities and main battles are pointed (that would be great). Also, a picture about the moves of the armies in one important battle (say Nemea) would help. I reckon open maps are hard to find, and I assume you looked for this kind of maps, of course. You can try to find something here
- I did not find any map about Corinthian War in the link I posted above. Sorry. gala.martin (what?) 20:43, 30 March 2006 (UTC)
- Yeah, I looked around for better maps too, but didn't see much. The battles are tricky, since for the most part you'd need complex multi-stage diagrams. I considered trying one myself (I seem to have developed something of a tradition of putting ugly do-it-yourself MS paint battle diagrams in my featured articles) but I decided it would be too tough to convey what was going on. I suppose there could be one of the war as a whole, but there would be a lot of little arrows around Corinth and Argos, and not a whole lot else. Thanks for the link to the military academy site, though--I think I can definitely use some of those for some other articles.
- I've implemented both the other suggestions. RobthTalk 06:50, 31 March 2006 (UTC)