Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2006-08-28/Wikimania series
A Signpost series
|Apr. 17||Three years of meetups|
|Apr. 24||About Wikimania|
|May 1||Community involvement|
|May 8||Retrospective: 2005|
|May 15||Retrospective: 2005 pt.2|
|May 22||2006 themes|
|May 29||2006 project content|
|Jun. 5||Other international meetups|
|Jun. 12||Wikimania speakers|
|Jun. 19||Hacking Days|
|Jun. 26||Wikimania speakers II|
|Jul. 3||Posters and updates|
|Jul. 10||Wikimania panels|
|Jul. 17||Wikimania workshops|
|Jul. 24||Wikimania events|
|July 31||Wikimania last minute information|
|Aug. 7||Wikimania highlights|
|Aug. 14||Wikimania report and wrapup|
|Aug. 28||Other August wiki conferences|
Wikimania 2006 is over, but other international Wikimedia gatherings have followed close behind. This past weekend saw the Chinese Wikimedia Conference 2006 take place in Hong Kong, and the Wikimedia Conference Netherlands in Utrecht is just a few days away. The Signpost takes a brief look at these events and at the bids so far for Wikimania 2007 and 2008.
Hong Kong: CWMC 2006
The Chinese Wikimedia Conference 2006, the first Wikimedia event billed as such to be held in Asia, took place this past weekend, August 26 and August 27, in Hong Kong. Media archives of the conference are online, including Skypecast audio recordings, IRC transripts, and a few collections of photographs.
Utrecht: WCN 2006
Wikimania updates and archives
As always, feedback, comments, and suggestions for next year can be left on the conference site, which will remain up as an archival site in the future.
A number of city bids have been put forward to host Wikimania next year; some seem willing to host the conference sometime farther in the future. Bids for 2008 and beyond may be started at any time.
Bids for Wikimania 2007, 2008 and beyond
The bidding process involves gathering and presenting information on where and how the event might take place, with what kind of local support (gratis conference space or lodging, and strong local sponsorship or community support is a plus). The city with a successful bid will host the 2007 conference. The deadline to submit a bid for 2007 is September 10, 2006; the final decision will be made at the end of September.
The unofficial (read: "in progress", some more complete than others) bids submitted so far, listed below, all have at least one interested bid supporter and a brief description of the available sites and facilities.
Middle East and Asia
- Alexandria - added by Evan on 16 August 2006
- Hong Kong - added by Jdforrester on 7 August 2006
- Singapore - added by Terence Ong on 2 August 2006
- Taipei - added by 188.8.131.52 on 16 August 2006
- Geneva - added by Jacoplane on 6 August 2006
- Istanbul - added by Cool Cat on 4 August 2006
- UK - added by Zanimum on 10 January 2006
- Chicago - added by Dralwik on 4 May 2006
- Las Vegas - added by Zanimum on 10 January 2006
- Orlando - added by Flcelloguy on 16 August 2006
2008 and beyond
- Toronto (2008) - added by Zanimum
- Wikimania-2008-on-Air (2008) - added by Hanno
- Seattle (2009) - added by brassratgirl
- Denver (2009) - added by Seth Ilys