Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Canoeing and Kayaking
|This is the talk page for discussing WikiProject Canoeing and Kayaking and anything related to its purposes and tasks.
|WikiProject Canoeing and Kayaking||(Rated Project-class)|
WikiProject X is live!
You may have received a message from me earlier asking you to comment on my WikiProject X proposal. The good news is that WikiProject X is now live! In our first phase, we are focusing on research. At this time, we are looking for people to share their experiences with WikiProjects: good, bad, or neutral. We are also looking for WikiProjects that may be interested in trying out new tools and layouts that will make participating easier and projects easier to maintain. If you or your WikiProject are interested, check us out! Note that this is an opt-in program; no WikiProject will be required to change anything against its wishes. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Note: To receive additional notifications about WikiProject X on this talk page, please add this page to Wikipedia:WikiProject X/Newsletter. Otherwise, this will be the last notification sent about WikiProject X.
Recent changes to the graphics for Template: Medal
There is a template talk page discussion regarding the graphics used for medalists in infobox medals tables occurring at Template talk:Medal#Changing from gold/silver/bronze to 1/2/3. As this discussion is within the scope of WP:Kayaking, you are invited to make your comments on the recent graphics changes there. Cheers. Dirtlawyer1 (talk) 15:59, 18 April 2015 (UTC)
Name of this WikiProject?
Could and should this project be renamed WikiProject Canoeing and Kayaking, or even WikiProject Canoeing, to better match the stated aim of improving Wikipedia's coverage of Kayaking, Kayaks, Canoeing, and Canoes?
In terms of sports, the International Canoe Federation administers both canoeing and kayaking. The current project name seems too specific for something that's covering both types of paddling. -- Ham105 (talk) 04:05, 27 October 2015 (UTC)
- I would be in favour of changing to WikiProject Canoeing and Kayaking with redirects from WikiProject Kayaking and WikiProject Canoeing etc. I agree the current name could create confusion as to the scope of the project. Jamesmcmahon0 (talk) 15:54, 27 October 2015 (UTC)
Canoeist or Canoer
- This has made me do some digging, but I'm glad because I'd forgotten about the tool. Here are some results for usage of canoeist and canoer from Google Books Ngram viewer for both American and British English - in both cases canoeist seems to have been used more often:
- American English - since the end of WW2, canoeist seems to appear at least five times as often.
- British English - since the end of WW2, canoeist seems to appear at least seven times as often (although intriguingly for brief period between 1931 and 1941, canoer was more commonly used - but it's ahead for only one decade out of the 130-odd years to the year 2000).
- So I think canoeist would be the more commonly used term in general use. If other editors have thoughts on this, I'd be interested. -- Ham105 (talk) 11:17, 2 May 2016 (UTC)
Bot to auto-asses articles
Just posting here to get consensus to request at User:BU RoBOT/autoassess. It is a bot that checks any unssessed articles and then assesses them if there is a consensus amongst other wikiprojects that share the article. If there's no opposition I'll request sometime next week (w/c 25 July 2016) Jamesmcmahon0 (talk) 11:44, 22 July 2016 (UTC)