Wilcox Academy captured in the setting sun
340 Ashley Street
|School district||Wilcox County|
|Grades||K - 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||12:1 (2011-12)|
|Campus type||Remote rural|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
Wilcox Academy was founded in 1970 as a segregation academy. The school's enrollment boomed in the 1970s as white parents withdrew their children from public schools. As of the early 2000s, some white parents were beginning to send their children to public schools because they were dissatisfied with Wilcox Academy's ability to provide quality academic programs with shrinking enrollment. The Wilcox Academy chairman declined comment on academic performance comparisons with public schools, stating that he "see[s] no advantage for us revealing any information for public consumption."
The Junior Beta Club consists of students in grades 6 through 8, while the Senior Beta Club is made up of students from grades 9 through 12. An annual induction ceremony is held during fall semester. Eligibility for membership depends on a student having maintained a B semester average in all courses for two consecutive semesters and approval from 2 of 3 of their teachers. All Senior Beta Club members must be enrolled in advanced classes. The Junior Beta Sponsor is Mrs. Fran McGraw and the Senior Beta Sponsor is Ms. Rebecca Malone.
Nine Wilcox Academy students were selected to serve as Ambassadors for the 2012-2013 Page Program, assisting the Chamber of Commerce in local events and helping promote Wilcox County throughout the year.
Deer and Turkey Hunts
Wilcox Academy has a six hundred plus member organization which holds two benefit hunts each year. The Turkey Hunt, normally held the end of March or early April, began in 1971 and was followed by the Gun Deer Hunt in 1985, which is held in early January.
- Mike Stewart, novelist.
- "Staff". School website.
- "Private School Universe Survey". Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- "Wilcox Academy". Private School Universe Survey. National Center for Education Statistics.
- "About the school". School website.
- Carla Crowder (27 October 2002). "Private white academies struggle in changing world". The Birmingham News.
- Bean, Alvin (June 16, 1991). "Wilcox county SAT scores at bottom of heap". Montgomery Advertiser. p. 1.
- Benn, Alvin (9 September 1990). "Funeral Home Awards 3 Scholarships". The Montgomery Advertiser. p. 15.
- "Wilcox County, Alabama". People QuickFacts. United States Census Bureau.
- "Beta Club". School website.
- "WA Art Show". School website.
- "WA Students Selected as Chamber Ambassadors". School website.
- "Deer and Turkey Hunts".