||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||8 June 1908 Gumbinnen, Prussia|
|Died||2 November 1987 Bochum, Germany|
|Battles/wars||Battle of Budapest|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves, Order of Michael the Brave|
Most of the division was encircled and destroyed in Budapest between December and February 1944-45. Those who escaped, consisting of 200-300 men, were reformed under Schöning. Wounded during the battle, Schöning broke through Soviet lines and reached the German 3rd Cavalry Brigade on the Buda side. Schöning remembered it thus:
Suddenly I had the feeling that my leg was being torn off. (...) As my pistol was empty I ordered my lieutenant to finish me off because I didn't want to be taken prisoner. He was himself wounded in the arm. He then called to me: “Only another 2,000 metres, Lieutenant Colonel. We have to make it!'” I crept through the snow up a hill with the major...Two wounded grenadiers from our battle group picked us up under the arms under the heaviest fire and stood us upright and I dragged myself with several wounds to the feet the two kilometres to the German position.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (11 July 1940) & 1st Class (12 August 1941)
- German Cross in Gold on 14 February 1942 as Oberleutnant in the 10./Infanterie-Regiment 120 (mototized)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Order of Michael the Brave
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Moore, Perry (2008) . Panzerschlacht: Armoured Operations on the Hungarian Plains September-November 1944. Helion & Company. p. 104. ISBN 978-1-9060-3316-3.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2300-9.